Data Management Specialist
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Data Management Specialist.
Job Summary: Data Management Specialist will be the primary staff member responsible for providing technical data management and configuration control supporting multiple systems engineering programs for the Air and Missile Defense System Integration Branch.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
1) Provide technical support for various internal and external network systems and data sources. Data retrieval and delivery through document control and performs uploads, downloads and cataloging of key metadata for engineers and analysts.
2) Individual will interpret the needs of the users and participate in evaluating and reviewing changes with different technical groups, projects and programs. The individual will have an understanding of principals, concepts and systems and techniques to prepare written reports and catalogs, including trace reports and staff action closure catalogs, necessary to inform and obtain approval of new and/or modified data and parameters.
3) Responsible for the transfer of data to a centralized document control location and facilitate data delivery throughout the laboratory to various staff members.
4) Initiate efforts to organize and manage large file servers, including reviewing existing data, mapping out improved file structures, ensuring consistency, and implementing archiving processes.
5) Catalogue tools and assist with data processing for generated metadata characteristics and parameters, as needed. Research, evaluate and solve problems and contribute to new processes. Perform other duties as assigned.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
Required Qualifications: High School Diploma as well as completion of some technical short courses and/or possess and IT certification. Some data management and database experience. Experience with Microsoft Products and some experience with one or more of the following: generating data reports, extracting, managing/or processing data, other related activities. Ability to do first round troubleshooting and provide technical assistance to users. Ability to recognize needs for process change or different approach on a task and bring forward ideas for discussion. Excellent oral and written communication skills and Interest in working in a team environment. Active Secret Clearance.
Desired Qualifications: Associate's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Math or Physics equivalent. 1-2 years of experience with big data management. Experience with MATLAB, ACCESS and higher-level database tools. Experience in systems engineering and analysis, hardware or software requirements development, and/or modeling and simulation. Possess sufficient understanding of the field to contribute original ideas and ways to achieve the affects desired by users. Demonstrated experience analyzing data, auditing and developing process improvements for data management.
Special Working Conditions: Work performed in closed area.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top