Data Center Facility Manager
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
Work with a team of experienced facility managers in the operation of our multiple enterprise class data centers, including daily operations of the data center and managing facility access lists.
- Make technical contributions in the area of facility management, including implementation of data center equipment, physically mounting hardware in racks, connecting cables, labeling hardware, updating documentation, and resolving data center configuration issues. (30%)
- Manage and maintain facility access lists for various data center and networking facilities. (30%)
- Work closely with our network architecture and operation teams to coordinate, schedule, and manage operational and project based activities requiring IT Infrastructure and/or field operations support. Utilize the ServiceNow ticketing system to breakdown projects into manageable tasks. Coordinate these activities with appropriate field operations and NOC teams. (20%)
- Respond to infrastructure related events such as loss of commercial or UPS power, loss of cooling, etc… Triage the situation and take appropriate steps to mitigate or escalate the issue through resolution. (20%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field, or equivalent years' professional level IT experience
- Solid understanding of the ANSI/TIA/EIA Standards, BICSI TDMM, and telecommunication installation principals and techniques.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and handle multiple assignments with overlapping timelines and due dates, while supporting daily Move, Add, and Change (MAC) requests.
- Strong written and presentation skills which will be used to document work and to give technical presentations.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a team environment with the ability to interface with individuals of diverse technical and administrative backgrounds.
- Able to independently resolve problems using current job knowledge, research data and external resources.
- Building Industry Consulting Services International (BICSI) Registered Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD) or Building Industry Consulting Services International (BICSI) Certified ITS Technician (TECH)
- 2 years of verifiable experience focused on designing, implementing and maintaining high-speed network cabling systems and facilities following the ANSI/EIA/TIA and BICSI standards and guidelines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of power and cooling concepts for data centers.
Special Working Conditions:
- Occasional work outside normal business work hours at least 2 times per month to implement data center projects or support maintenance efforts.
- Must be capable of lifting 50-75lbs
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top