Data Analyst for Operational Systems
Are you passionate about analyzing the performance of complex naval systems?
Are you an ambitious and passionate self-starter interested in solving challenging problems and providing solutions that will impact the naval systems of today and future?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are forming a team of highly talented individuals who are capable of understanding and analyzing the performance of highly integrated naval defense systems. Your analyses of and insight intothese complex systems will lead to game-changing solutions that will impact the fleet for years to come. You will work alongside a team of talented engineers and scientists, all focused on understanding and improving the performance of our complex naval systems.
As a part of the Engagement Control Team, your primary responsibility will be to analyze and model the performance of complex navy systems that support both ship and battle force defense. To this effect…
- You will support studies that investigate technical issues and performance challenges of current and future naval capabilities
- You will use and mature existing data analysis tools to evaluate data from test events and simulators.
- You will develop new tools and processes for evaluating system performance.
- You will formulate the output from your analyses/evaluations into products for internal and external stakeholders.
- You will research and develop an understanding of the complex system (performance) you are evaluating
As you become more proficient in your role, you will also be expected to…
- Interface directly with your multi-disciplinary team and other resident subject-matter experts to refine your tools and analyses.
- Take ownership of a complex problem – i.e., with mentorship, become a resident expert in the problem/solution space.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you
- Hold a Bachelor's Degree in Data Science, Statistics, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, or Physics.
- Have proficiency in Python/R/SAS (preferred), C or Matlab
- Have 1 years of experience as a data analyst or data scientist and/or experience with the quantitative evaluation of system performance using a common programming language and willingness to learn new data science/analysis tools. Since many of our efforts are goal-driven and not process-driven (i.e., we use the programming language the best suites the effort), your flexibility will be critical to your success and impact on our team.
- Have the ability to work independently and with multi-disciplinary design and analysis teams.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Hold or are able to obtain a SECRET level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government secret clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you
- Hold an active Top Secret clearance
- Hold a Master's degree in Data Science, Statistics, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Math, or Physics.
- Have 5 years of experience as a data analyst or data scientist and/or experience with the quantitative evaluation of system performance using a common programming language
- Have previous experience with navy defense systems and/or electronic warfare systems
- Have experience communicating the results of your work to both internal and/or external partners
- Are proficient in Python, R or SAS and at least one of the following: C , Matlab
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
Back to top