Cybersecurity Test Engineer
We are seeking Cybersecurity Test Engineers to provide test planning, test execution, and post-test analysis of cutting edge cybersecurity solutions needed to defend our nation's air and missile defense systems from cyber threats.
Exercise your cybersecurity and test engineering expertise in support of our nation's air and missile defense systems. More than simply satisfying compliance, cybersecurity engineering is a multi-faceted technical discipline aimed at driving rigorous systems engineering principles into the design, development, and operation of cybersecurity capabilities within complex systems. Merging state-of-the-art cyber resilience techniques with risk management, cybersecurity engineers are integrated into systems engineering teams and drive the deliberate definition and implementation of cybersecurity controls, technologies, and solutions.
As a Cybersecurity Test Engineer, drive the testing of cybersecurity solutions for complex tactical systems. Support cyber test activities across the system development lifecycle including authoring cyber sections of the Requirements Verification Document, Test Strategy, TEMP, and test procedures; planning and executing cyber component, development, and operational tests including penetration, vulnerability, and adversarial testing; planning and executing Cyber Table Top exercises and other Cyber Risk Assessment activities; observing integrator component, development, and operational testing; and providing post-test analysis and reports. Work alongside teams of experts to integrate COTS, GOTS, and Open Source cybersecurity products into comprehensive cybersecurity solutions specifically tailored for defense systems. Define cyber performance measures and metrics, interact with sponsor leadership and expertise, and support teams of cybersecurity engineers in the analysis of complex mission systems for cybersecurity vulnerabilities and risks. Demonstrate system strengths and weaknesses through hands-on testing. Devise innovative ways of applying sound cybersecurity principles within a constrained system.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics or related technical field.
- At least five (5) years of experience in systems engineering, cybersecurity engineering, or concept development for complex systems with at least two (2) years of testing experience.
- Experience in requirements development, architecture product development, high-level design, product development, or test and evaluation.
- Knowledge of fundamental principles, DoD policy, and NIST guidance on Cybersecurity, Cyber Resilience, Cyber Risk Management, System Hardening, Cyber Testing, and Vulnerability Assessment.
- Excellent communication skills. Highly motivated with the ability to work independently, problem solve, and produce positive results for highly challenging sponsor needs.
- Current Secret clearance with ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance.
- MS or PhD: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics, Cyber Security, Computer Information Systems Security or related field.
- Ten (10) or more years of experience testing complex Navy and DoD systems.
- Operational experience with DoD systems.
- Current Top Secret clearance with the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance above Top Secret.
Special Working Conditions [Travel, working in closed areas, extended hours]: Occasional travel and work at military facilities including underway on US Navy ships and aircraft, requiring occasional work outside of and in excess of normal working hours.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top