We are seeking Cybersecurity Scientists to conduct research, develop concepts, and drive innovation for cutting edge cybersecurity solutions needed to defend our nation's air and missile defense systems from cyber threats.
Define revolutionary cybersecurity and cyber resilience concepts and technologies in support of our nation's air and missile defense systems. Tactical systems often have constraints that prohibit the use of commonly deployed enterprise capabilities. These systems require innovative approaches to implement cyber resilience. As a Cybersecurity Scientist, drive the definition, concept development, and prototyping of cybersecurity solutions for complex tactical systems. Participate in and support the development of automated decision capabilities using complex analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence; development of high-reliability/availability systems leveraging integrated redundancy, distributive allocation, and resilient software development; and development of adaptive response capabilities using risk-based reaction progression and semi-automated workflows. Define new ways to leverage cyber performance measures and metrics to identify and respond to anomalous cyber behavior within constrained tactical systems. Conceptualize new approaches to ingrain cyber resilience into tactical systems. Work alongside teams of experts to expand concepts into comprehensive cybersecurity solutions specifically tailored for defense systems. Develop whitepapers, pursue internal research and development, present concepts at community forums, and work with Laboratory leadership to identify and justify investment objectives.
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics or related technical field.
- At least on (1) year of experience in concept development for complex systems.
- Experience in the development of complex software solutions, models, and experiments.
- Knowledge of fundamental principles, DoD policy, and NIST guidance on Cybersecurity, Cyber Resilience, Cyber Risk Management, System Hardening, Cyber Testing, and Vulnerability Assessment.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Highly motivated with the ability to work independently, problem solve, and produce positive results for highly challenging sponsor needs.
- Current Secret clearance with ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance.
- Ten (10) or more years of experience conducting cyber related research. Experience in the development and deployment of Navy and DoD systems.
- Current Top Secret clearance with the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance above Top Secret.
Special Working Conditions [Travel, working in closed areas, extended hours]: Occasional travel and work at military facilities including underway on US Navy ships and aircraft, requiring occasional work outside of and in excess of normal working hours.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top