Cyber Security Systems Engineer
Job Summary: Systems security engineer to architect, design, implement and deliver information assurance capabilities in support of IT security operations.
- In support of defensive cyber operations, develop and enhance suite of existing cyber security tools to maximize capabilities. Support compliance efforts through Nessus and DLP scans. Perform full life cycle systems management through monitoring, patching and maintaining cyber security applications and appliances adhering to ITIL best practices for change and configuration management. Apply technical expertise in a variety of Information Security tools in complex network environments to secure, deploy, and manage these technologies.
- In partnership with server, networking and desktop support teams, provide oversight of security stack to ensure tools are effective. Identify new technologies or capabilities to improve security posture. Develop tool policies and plan for version upgrades for security tools, operating system upgrades and server baselines to leverage evolving capabilities.
- Learn and support new technologies (e.g., Cloud, Big Data, VM, etc.) and develop knowledge to secure those new technologies. Identify and recommend new solutions to support end user requirements, meet existing gaps or to replace antiquated technologies.
- As security architect, participate in project and cross-functional security teams requiring interaction with system administrators, networking staff, application developers, IT operations staff, and cyber research and development areas within the organization in order to identify and implement information assurance controls and risk mitigation techniques for IT operations. Conduct security reviews for new technology projects, designing or recommending secure methods to accommodate end user needs. Review and respond to exception requests submitted through Service Desk ticketing system.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent years of professional work experience, in Information Security or security related discipline that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job duties.
- At least 7 years’ experience in a complex network environment in an information systems security engineering role.
- Excellent team work and customer service skills
- Current knowledge of threats and information security trends
- Operational knowledge of enterprise architecture and security engineering best practices
- Hands-on working knowledge of networking and protocol analysis
- Working knowledge of Windows, Unix and Linux operating system security requirements
- Strong analytical, problem solving skills and decision making skills with ability to develop solutions
- Excellent verbal, written and diplomacy skills with the ability to multi-task, and work well under pressure
- Technical expertise in some of the following areas:SIEM, Splunk, IPS/IDS, Firewall, Proxy, Full Packet Capture technologies, Sandbox technologies (static and inline), Memory analysis, Host based anomaly detection, and Netflow anomaly detection techniques
- Operations management experience following ITIL best practices
- Master’s Degree in Information Security/Assurance or security related discipline
- CISSP, GIAC and PMP Certification
- Experience with FedRAMP security controls for an Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Software as a Service (SaaS) cloud paradigms; Cyber incident response management, intrusion detection, server/host-based security systems, risk assessments, and penetration testing
Special Working Conditions: Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours, to include some overnight and/or weekend work at least once a month. Ability to travel regionally to attend industry meetings (i.e. Baltimore/DC/ Virginia) and CONUS travel ~3-4 times per year.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top