Cyber Operations Researcher
- Laurel, MD
Are you interested in how organizations – digital brands, countries, and criminal enterprises – build power and influence in the digital world?
Have you wondered about how to improvebot detection systems, or how to foil them?
Do you like contributing to the development of cutting edge tools and techniques?
Are you looking for an opportunity to make significant impact on our nation's information operations and strategic influence capabilities?
If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
As a Cyber Operations Researcher, you will...
Join a team of motivated and creative research engineers and bring both the operational experience and technical ability to help us envision, design, and develop systems that can detect and defeat cutting-edge digital influence technologies. We also want to advance the state of the art and prepare our government sponsors for the future using our own novel scalable capabilities. In this role, you will play a part in laying out the groundwork for our Nation's ability to successfully adapt its influence capabilities for the 21st Century.
We care about quality design and development for cyberspace capabilities to make an operational impact, and we invite you to be part of a creative team that implements solutions to large-scale, complex problems in the cyber operations domain. We encourage collaboration across the laboratory as we seek to build state-of-the-art capabilities. We work closely with systems engineers, end users, and sponsors to understand needs and develop overall solutions that will meet operational needs.
- Design, develop, and test software solutions for advanced cyber operations applications.
- Analyze systems to understand system functionality and identify potential defects, vulnerabilities, and inefficiencies.
- Automate key software development activities, including integration, testing, deployment, and designing for scale.
- Collaborate with operational and technical subject matter experts (SMEs) to identify architecture gaps and develop recommendations to address these gaps.
- Foster relationships with sponsors and end-users to define requirements of the operational environment and promote the system engineering activities necessary for software systems.
- Contribute to technical project evaluations and promote good software development practices and methodologies. You may provide technical direction and mentoring to other team members.
- Research, investigate, and experiment with existing state-of-the-art technologies and look for creative new uses of software technologies to demonstrate system concepts for information operations that can be used by government personnel to identify and validate novel operational concepts.
- Identify tools and technologies, data models, data analytics, and reporting and visualization approaches to assist our sponsors with data-driven decision-making.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Possess a Ph.D. in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, math, or similar. An emphasis on computer networking, network operations, machine learning or software engineering is preferred.
- Have experience with military cyber operations, advertising technology (supply or demand side platforms), commercial networking, social media influence, virtual private networks, or data center operations.
- Have experience with software architecture and can articulate the full software development lifecycle.
- Have the ability to rapidly learn new languages and frameworks and work in small, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Are willing and able to travel on a limited basis.
- Are able to obtain Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government clearance investigation which requires you to meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You go above and beyond the requiredqualifications if you...
- Bring substantial experience in any of the following areas: social media influence, military psychological or cyber operations, digital marketing, procedural generation, or development of autonomous agents.
- Can provide software engineering and development experience with examples of leadership on software or product teams.
- Are experienced in using professional software development tools such as software design tools, version control, issue trackers, debuggers and continuous integration tools and willing to lead teams through integration processes.
- Have an active TS/SCI clearance.
Why work at APL? The Johns Hopkins UniversityApplied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation'smost critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wideselection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistanceprogram, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoygenerous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in theBaltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunitiesat www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Actionemployer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employmentwithout regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexualorientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any othercharacteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top