Cost Estimator - Construction Projects
Summary: The Cost Estimator will work closely with the Facilities Management Department staff to generate construction cost and schedule estimates for design and construction projects at varying stages of development. Estimate types will range from high level parametric for long term planning, to detailed take-offs for construction cost. Estimate values will range from a few thousand to several million dollars.
- Using written scopes of work and/or construction documents (drawings) generate timely cost estimates and analyses for design and construction projects at various project stages, including Rough Order of Magnitude and budget assessments during planning and detailed take-off estimates before and during construction. Produce succinct reports for customers with documented assumptions and constraints for the basis of estimates.
- Develop and maintain a master cost database for estimating and collaborate within the Facilities Management Department to optimize unit cost baselines for design and construction projects. Develop and maintain a cost history tracking system for design and construction projects.
- Breakdown cost estimates according to appropriate financial guidelines such as overhead, capital, work breakdown structure and/or schedule of values by system or activity. Assist Project Managers and Construction Managers to review and evaluate construction change orders and schedule changes. Review applications for payment on identified projects, calculate and track earned value for these projects.
- In partnership with the Schedule Analyst, develop, maintain and distribute to management and relevant staff a summary report of project cost estimates with resource analysis for the department’s project portfolio. Communicate with various stakeholders to provide appropriate level explanations and conduct follow-up lessons-learned discussions when needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent (Associate’s degree with 2 years of professional experience or equivalent) with minimum 2-5 years of experience as an estimator for a general contractor or construction management company with general knowledge of estimating for all trades.
- Proficiency using MSOffice (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and estimating software (R.S. Means, Tradeline, Tririga, Tradeline, ProEst, etc.).
- Background in building design, engineering and construction (new construction and/or renovation).
- Candidate shall be resourceful with a high level of customer service acumen and ability to work closely with design and construction teams.
- Project management, construction management experience.
Special Working Conditions: Working hours are 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. Periodic project site visits for scope verification. Personal protective equipment provided.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top