- Laurel, MD
Are you seeking an opportunity to integrate affordabilityinto the design of systems?
Do you take pride in your ability to build costestimating relationships for unique requirements and nascent technologies?
Ifso, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking a cost analyst to help us develop andmaintain cost estimates and affordability analyses in support of Department ofDefense (DOD) and US Government sponsors. You'll be joining a hardworking team of analysts who tie affordability, costconsiderations and projections to the critical challenges our nation faces. As a member of our team, you will contributetoandlead trade space studies (Analysis ofAlternatives, Business Case Analyses), Cost and Schedule Risk Assessments, andaffordability studies (Life Cycle Cost Estimates, Total Ownership Costs).Significant tasks will include cost research, parametric cost estimation,probabilistic cost forecasting, integration of cost data and models,normalization of data, and execution of model credibility assessments.
As a Cost Analyst - Affordability Analyst:
- Your primary responsibility will be aggregating cost data of government projects through both structured (DAMIR, CADE, VAMOSC, USASpending.gov) and unstructured (open source web searches, domain expert interviews) research
- You will contribute to studies that quantify best value assessments through affordability analysis, decision frameworks, data visualization, feasibility analysis, and sensitivity analysis
- You will learn to build cost estimates integrating statistical analysis, modeling and simulation, cost databases, and expert opinion in Excel, ACEIT, Price Trueplanning, etc.
- You will collaborate with APL staff from all sectors and departments on technical studies across land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace domains.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have:
- A Bachelor's degree in business, data science, economics, engineering, management science, mathematics, or operations research with strong analytical skills
- Minimum 5 years' experience in cost estimating/analysis, quantitative modeling and/or risk analysis
- Experience in preparing cost estimates and analyses
- Experience with acquisition programs, including milestone reviews, reporting, and budget development
- Knowledge or training in the use of DoD cost estimating software, models, and databases (e.g. ACEIT, @Risk, Crystal Ball, Price TruePlanning, VAMOSC)
- Demonstrated communication, interpersonal, problem solving, and analytical skills
- The ability to manage multiple priorities in a demanding environment
- The ability to obtain a Top Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- A Master's Degree or higher in business, cost estimating, data science, economics, engineering, management science, mathematics, or operations research
- Current certification related to cost estimation/analysis (e.g., Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) Level III certification, Certified Cost Estimator/Analyst (CCEA)), INFORMS Certified Analytics Professional (CAP))
- In-depth knowledge and experience in any/all of the following: Life Cycle Cost Estimating, Cost Benefit & Risk Analysis, Parametric Estimating Techniques, Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis, Government and Commercial Pricing Requirements, Forecasting, Data Mining, Simulation & Optimization Techniques
- In-depth knowledge and experience in the use of DoD cost estimating software, models, and databases (e.g., ACEIT, @Risk, Crystal Ball, Price TruePlanning, VAMOSC)
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the DoD 5000 series of systems acquisition polices
- Past leadership of DoD Affordability Studies or cost-benefit analysis of MDAP ACAT programs.
- A current Secret or above clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, occupation, marital or familial status, political opinion, personal appearance, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top