Control, Actuation and Test Systems Engineer
Are you passionate about inventing creative solutions to complex engineering challenges?
Do you have a knack for integrating electromechanical systems?
We are seeking a creative early career engineer to help us provide innovative actuation solutions to solve modern aerospace control challenges. You'll be joining a hardworking team of engineers who collaboratively solve hard problems in the area controls, actuation, and electronics.
As a Control, Actuation, and Test Engineer....
- Design, configure, program and operate laboratory special test equipment, data acquisition & control equipment and sensors to control test execution and collect data in laboratory tests to make precision measurements (30%)
- Develop hardware test plans & procedures, execute tests in a laboratory environment, and evaluate resulting test data in support of aerospace control actuation and electric power distribution system performance characterization and model validation (30%)
- Model, simulate and then validate high-fidelity physics-based electromechanical actuation system models through test and evaluation of modeled hardware (10%)
- Participate in the design, integration and test of prototype electromechanical fixtures used to test and evaluate missile control actuation systems (10%)
- Analyze and evaluate flight and ground test data and present findings in presentations and memoranda (10%)
- Support external Integrated Product Teams for the purpose of design and development, test and evaluation of aerospace control actuation systems (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at the time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor's Degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or equivalent.
- 0-3 years experience in hardware testing and data acquisition and control of actuation or related electromechanical systems. Familiarity with computer-aided engineering design and evaluation tools including Matlab / Simulink, LabVIEW, and PSPICE.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, logical reasoning, and organizational skills.
- Basic understanding of active and passive electronics.
- Interest in electrical and mechanical hardware and actuation systems.
- Are able to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Master's Degree or equivalent in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or equivalent.
- Coursework or experience in control systems, electronics, mechatronics, vibration/structures, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics.
- Experience developing dynamic simulations using Simulink and C .
- In depth understanding of active and passive electronics.
- Familiarity with computer aided engineering design and evaluation tools such as Creo, dSPACE, Simulink Real-time, ORCAD Capture, PSpice Layout, Xilinx FPGA design tools.
- Current TOP SECRET clearance.
Special Working Conditions: Occasional travel required for meetings, field tests and related activities. Some foreign travel may also be required.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top