Communications Systems Engineer / Software Developer
Introduction: The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a communications Engineer with experience in software development.
Job Summary: Communications engineer to design, develop, and implement applications related to advanced communication systems, distributed sensor networks, and tactical network performance and vulnerability assessment. Contribute, as part of a team, by employing state-of-the-art software development and engineering solutions to address critical and challenging problems related to national security and defense.
- Design, develop, implement, analyze, and test applications related to communication systems, distributed computing, data processing, sensor network simulation, and tactical network performance and vulnerability assessment.
- Apply systems engineering processes to translate concepts into technical requirements. Participate in system design, development, prototyping, and demonstration efforts. Validate and verify design specifications, document requirements, conduct system verification and analyze system performance.
- Interact closely with system and software engineers and formally present technical solutions, results, and recommendations to APL management and sponsors.
- Perform required tasks in a manner consistent with APL quality processes.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering related discipline and 2 years of strong engineering and software development experience with emphasis on communication links, distributed computing, data processing, sensor network simulation, and communications link performance and vulnerability assessment.
- Strong object-oriented software design and development skills are required
- Solid experience in C programming language on Linux and Windows environments is required.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills with solid understanding of digital communications and signal propagation theory.
- Apply software engineering methodologies, principles, and concepts to solve communication systems related problems.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in a dynamic environment that includes working with changing needs and requirements.
- The applicant should demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, be able to work independently, and be a team player.
- The applicant must demonstrate outstanding written and oral communication skills and good organizational skills.
MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering related discipline. Experience with real-time and non real-time software development for advanced distributed communication systems and sensor networks. Familiarity with, grid computing, satellite networks, wireless technologies, cloud computing, and network protocols. Working knowledge of Python, OPNET, MATLAB and Simulink is desired. Familiarity with UML design principles is a plus. Working knowledge of software configuration management is desired.
Special Working Conditions: May require occasional travel.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top