Do you have a passion for writing?
Are you an organized deadline-driven individual who enjoys a variety of communications-oriented work?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team.
As a Communications Specialist:
- Your primary responsibility will be producing communications aimed at engaging APL staff members in the organization's strategic vision, mission and values.
- You will regularly contribute to our internal, bi-weekly staff newsletter.
- You will engage external audiences in the technical work of the Laboratory through your writing or in collaboration with our graphic design and video team.
- You will post and update announcements online and through our digital display system.
- You will follow and uphold editorial guidelines.
- You will support strategic communications planning and rollouts for various APL-wide and organization-specific initiatives.
- You will work with other departments to ensure consistency in messaging to staff and external audiences.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you:
- Have strong writing and communications skills, including previous experience writing news stories, blogs, and/or technical stories.
- Have an ability to work in a dynamic environment as an agile member of a team.
- Possess a strong attention to detail, organization and follow-through.
- Have ability to work on deadline, set priorities, and work independently.
- Have strong verbal communication skills with an ability to present ideas coherently and persuasively.
- Have a Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
- Have 1-5 years of relevant experience.
You meet our desired qualifications if you:
- Possess proficiency in AP style.
- Have effectively worked across multiple levels of an organization.
- Have a working knowledge of content management systems and trends in social media.
- Have experience producing videos or writing scripts.
- Have experience working with media.
- Have experience in graphic design.
- Have a Master's degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top