CNC Machinist - 2nd Shift
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), located midway between Baltimore, MD and Washington DC, is a national leader in scientific research and development. APL is one of the top 100 companies to work for including voted the world's top 10 most innovative companies. APL is actively seeking a highly skilled and motivated CNC Machinist to support the Advanced Mechanical Fabrication Group. Work is performed in a state of the art manufacturing and research facility.
Job Summary:Interpret engineering drawings or sketches, machine parts, and hardware assemblies in support of R&D programs, in accordance with APL quality initiatives varying from prototype R&D to fully configured AS9100 compliant programs. The work schedule for this position is from 3:30 pm to Midnight, Monday through Friday (Second Shift). Highly competitive wages and second shift differential applies.
- Setup, programming, and operation of a CNC Machining Center for end-to-end manufacturing with minimal supervision.
- Perform in-process inspection using precision measuring instruments (i.e., I.D and O.D. Micrometers, calipers) ensuring customers hardware requirements are met.
- Review work packages for productibility issues.
- Communicate with the customer as required to achieve end objectives.
- Monitor and record duration and completion of work performed in Work Management system in accordance with business and Quality procedures.
- Achieve and maintain proficiency with all applicable quality processes associated with assigned work.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years experience in setup, programming, and operating a CNC machining center or equivalent in a precision R&D environment.
- Minimum 1 years of CNC programming experience.
- Excellent verbal communication skills and willingness to interface with customers during the fabrication process.
- Positive interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- Ability to read and interpret Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing per ANSI Y-14.5.
- Computer skills, e.g., Microsoft Office and Web-based applications.
- Experience with Mastercam CNC programming software.
- Mazak experience.
Special Working Conditions: Safety Shoes and glasses required. Overtime may be required to meet critical delivery schedules.
Security:Secret security clearnce is required to perform the essential functions of the job. Applicants selected may be subject to a Government security investigation and must then meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include US citizenship.
Benefits:APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site atwww.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top