The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
APL is seeking an exceptionally driven individual with a strong technical background to take on the role of Cloud Administrator. The successful candidate will be part of a diverse technical team supporting the adoption and operations of a multi-provider hybrid Cloud infrastructure.
- Actively participate in a multi-disciplinary team responsible for delivering Cloud services to the enterprise. Provide administration and support for the Cloud catalog and portal-based access to internal and external computing resources, delivered through ServiceNow. Responsibilities include developing workflow automation, using orchestrators to manage complex cross-domain processes, integrating with internal infrastructure services and external end points, maintaining compliance, troubleshooting and solving problems across platforms, managing performance and capacity, and providing direct customer support.
- Collaborate with server and storage administrators, security and network engineers, Cloud architects and service managers to understand and implement requirements. Actively contribute to architecture and design discussions. Work with vendors to resolve technical issues and integrate solutions. Support the review of Cloud industry technology trends and help determine their potential impact on our environment. Work is completed in a team-based environment, which requires building and maintaining strong relationships.
- Provide clear and concise technical documentation related to installations, configurations, technical solutions and procedures supporting the administration and maintenance of services. Initiate formal and informal knowledge sharing sessions within teams.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor's Degree in technology field or equivalent years of related professional work experience
- 3 years of experience administering Windows Server and/or Linux operating systems
- Familiarity with storage and networking technologies and concepts
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and open to continuous change
- Self-motivated to analyze, troubleshoot and resolve complex problems using current job knowledge, research data, and collaboration with internal/external resources
- Exceptional teamwork and interpersonal skills, with ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders, customers and management
- Strong analytical and organizational skills, with high attention to details
- Experience with Cloud service orchestration and automation through various tools, including ServiceNow and VMWare vRO/vCO
- Experience with virtualization technologies and infrastructure services (VMWare, NSX, Active Directory, F5, SQL Server)
- Experience with automation tools and technologies (CloudFormation, Ansible, Terraform) and scripting (BASH, PowerShell, Python)
- Familiar with IaaS, PaaS and SaaS concepts, as well as DevOps
- Experience with AWS concepts and technologies, including EC2 and related services (EBS, CloudWatch, CLI)
Special Working Conditions:
Occasional Saturday morning and after-hours work is required to handle and/or complete critical work.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top