Classified facility system administrator - Linux
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a senior system administrator
Job Summary: Senior member of systems administration team for highly classified closed area computing lab.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Configure and install new Linux (required) and Windows (desired) workstations and incorporate into existing networks. Create and maintain necessary mass storage network and supporting hardware and software. Incorporate and maintain a robust backup system. Plan and execute software maintenance and upgrade tasks for workstations and network software. (30%)
- Participate in planning of facility, computer hardware, and software upgrades (including purchases) in order to pace user needs. (20%)
- Ensure facility complies with security requirements including: authentication, logging, auditing and intrusion detection. Prepare for and support periodic security inspections. This task involves determining necessary computer and software configurations for compliance with security requirements. (15%)
- Maintain and upgrade network hardware and software to ensure the computer suite properly interfaces with computing networks. These networks include the internal network as well as possible external links (15%)
- Support transfer of computing equipment to and from field sites to support flight tests. Provide onsite support of computing equipment at field sites before, during and after test execution.(10%).
- Monitor systems to ensure proper operation and respond to user help requests. Establish new user accounts and brief new users. Establish and promulgate policies to deactivate and reactivate system to support necessary maintenance periods. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
Required Qualifications: BS in Computer Science, Computer System Engineering, or related field. Minimum 5 years system administration of Linux operating systems in a networked environment. Experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux; computer hardware installation and reconfiguration; configuring and deploying storage area networks Some programming language (C, C , Fortran, Java), system networking, and basic technical communication skills. Must have ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance. Can start with an interim secret.
Desired Qualifications: MS in Computer Science, Computer System Engineering, or related fields; Proficiency in Red Hat Enterprise Linux and experience with Windows 2008, Windows 2003 Server, Windows 2008 Server, Proficiency with deployment and configuration of storage area networks; experience with user account management using Active Directory. Computer hardware installation and reconfiguration expertise.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top