Have you led teams conducting high impact biomedical research, taking ideas from the laboratory into the real world, improving the health and well-being of individuals, communities and the nation?
Do you want to be at the forefront of transforming the ability of our nation to respond to natural and engineered biological threats today and in the future?
Are you prepared to influence and direct large research investments made by the government to secure public health through revolutionary advances in detection, diagnostics, and medical countermeasures?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Chief Biological Systems Scientist to influence, shape, and lead APL's investment priorities in the biological sciences so that we can effectively respond to emerging post-pandemic national challenges in health and biosecurity. We want to hire a visionary biologist to grow our research and development in health, biology, and biosecurity, building upon an existing set of capabilities and a strong legacy in countering biological threats. We currently work with multiple government sponsors to apply the full spectrum of science, engineering, and data analytics to dramatically improve our ability to predict, prevent, detect, and respond to threats and sustain health. We are particularly focused on tackling problems of global health security to help understand and prepare for emerging natural and engineered threats. We work in partnership with many other divisions of Johns Hopkins, applying APL's world-class engineering capabilities to advance healthcare delivery, biosecurity, and applied R&D for biotechnology. We are looking for an experienced technical leader to help direct our research and pursue bold ideas. We have a robust internal investment program targeting high-risk, high-reward initiatives. Our trusted relationships with government agencies, built over decades, position APL to be a critical force for tackling the highest priority biosecurity challenges. The nation is at a critical moment in which the potential negative consequences posed by biological threats have been realized at a global scale. The nation's preparedness and response has been challenged. APL is committed to developing and implementing effective countermeasures and mitigations, preventing harm to individuals and the nation as a whole. The lessons we take from this crisis and the decisions we make in the near future will determine whether we are able to mount effective technical and policy responses to the next potential health security crisis.
As Chief Biological Systems Scientist...
- Your primary responsibility will be to propose and oversee research initiatives directed at game-changing advances in national and global biosecurity, through a combination of internal and government funding.
- You will contribute to strategic planning in health and bio security for APL and its sponsors.
- You will build strong teams with APL scientists and engineers to deliver effective engineering solutions to civilian and military sponsors in our National Health and Homeland Protection mission areas.
- You will shape and influence hiring decisions to ensure APL has the breadth and depth of needed skills across all relevant biological specializations.
- You will build upon a large existing base of laboratories at APL to identify facility needs and influence investment decisions for new and upgraded capabilities.
- You will build partnerships with scientists and engineers across APL, the other divisions of JHU, and the wider biosecurity research community.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a Ph.D. or M.D. and have at least twenty years of experience in a biomedical field related to biosecurity.
- Have a strong record of technical leadership, demonstrated by research, publications, collaborations, directing teams, and attracting significant funding as principal investigator.
- Have extensive experience with advanced molecular and cellular biotechnologies and their application in understanding health and disease.
- Have experience with analyzing multiple types of -omics data.
- Have a record of applying advances in biotechnology to answer critical questions and solve important real-world problems.
- Have excellent oral and written communications skills, including the ability to convey complex technical ideas to non-specialist audiences.
- Are willing and able to travel to sponsor and partner sites.
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- • Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.Can demonstrate that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. To ensure the safety and well-being of the community, APL has established a policy requiring that all staff be vaccinated against COVID-19. All staff members must provide proof of full vaccination or have an approved medical or religious accommodation by their start date.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have operational public health experience.
- Have a knowledge of government biosecurity research priorities.
- Have an understanding of the molecular basis of pathogenicity.
- Have experience with multi-scale models across molecular, cellular, tissue, host, and population scales.
- Have a background in biodefense and experience with countermeasures for biological weapons.
- Have experience implementing machine learning with complex biological data sets.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates. At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at http://www.jhuapl.edu/careers.