C++ Software Engineering
The Combat System Development and Assessment Group of the Air and Missile Defense Sector (AMDS) is seeking a motivated Software Engineer with C++ experience to help develop complex Modeling and Simulation (M&S) solutions. This opportunity encompasses a range of modeling challenges from proofs-of-concept to current real-world and future combat system representations.
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory is recognized as one of the national leaders in scientific research and development. This is an opportunity to work on teams that seek to optimize the safety of our Navy sailors by evaluating our current combat system resources and finding ways to improve them at the individual systems level and as a system-of-systems whole. You will be applying all of your software engineering skills to help develop and integrate combat system models that simulate the detection and engagement of missile threats by Navy ships.
- Develop and integrate real-time and/or event-driven models representing current or future tactical system behavior.
- Research and consult with Subject Matter Experts to identify software requirements.
- Document software design decisions, implementation details, and M&S results.
- Work with analysts to ensure proper use of the M&S and interpretation of results.
- Work with team members to investigate and resolve critical issues.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Software Engineering, or comparable program.
- 2+ years of experience utilizing C++.
- 2+ years of experience in M&S or equivalent software engineering activities.
- Experience utilizing Git, Mercurial, or Subversion configuration management tools.
- Experience using Linux operating systems.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to understand and debug legacy code.
- Ability to obtain and Interim Secret level clearance prior to starting.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- M.S. in Computer Science.
- 3+ years of experience with C++ in a Linux environment.
- 1+ years of experience with MATLAB.
- 1+ years of experience with Python
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Perl.
- Experience in real-time software development on Linux.
- Experience with Navy or DoD tactical systems.
- Broad knowledge of software development methodologies, best practices, and tools.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top