Building Information Modeling (BIM) Coordinator
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC.
Provide professional-level services to assist in the transition and coordination of compiling and organizing APL's facility management information utilizing industry best practices for Building Information Modeling (BIM). The candidate will work as part of a multi-disciplined design team dedicated to providing designs and documentation for the construction and modification of APL facilities.
This position requires US Citizenship.
- Oversee the design and management of Building Information Modeling (BIM) workflows for internal Architectural/Engineer (A/E) designers as well as outsourced. (30%)
- Assist Project Managers during project kickoff with BIM requirements and deliverable expectations.
- Support the workflow of BIM project standards for internal and external A/E designers
- Resolve complex BIM design issues.
- Develop coordinate, and verify the expectations agreed upon during the initiation of the BIM Project execution plan are understood and have been met.
- Assist Project Managers in the Development & execution of BIM.
- Educate Project Managers on BIM, its uses on their projects, the value and importance of a Project Execution Plan, and how to create a Project Execution Plan.
- Prepare and provide existing building drawings upon request in various electronic formats such as but not limited to Autodesk AutoCAD and Revit, and Adobe PDF.
- Create, update, and maintain the electronic document library.
- Technical resource for APL for BIM/CAD questions and related hardware issues.
- Identify and manage the implementation of BIM technologies that enhance design processes and assists in the growth of the APL's design goals. (30%)
- Develop plans to manage BIM software to include incorporating new version releases and customization of the products.
- Develop a version migration strategy by working with IT to minimize down time and create transition plans for all aspects to include the installation of the software, customizations, training, etc.
- Manage and coordinate the daily work flow of all BIM related activities.
- Be familiar with BIM software as it's related to Facilities Management and the use and integration of Revit with Tririga, Maximo, Cobie, Navisworks and the various other Facilities Management software add on's.
- Maintain high level of competency of software through continued use and:
- Attend conferences, seminars, and workshops for BIM; bringing back learning and disseminating the information to appropriate teams.
- Stay informed on best practices for use of BIM. Stay informed on other BIM related software and how they are integrated into design processes and workflows.
- Identify solutions that will utilize the most effective design & BIM technologies available to enhance the ability to integrate BIM with Facilities Management. (20%)
- Manage the development, implementation, and quality assurance of the BIM standards.
- Oversight of the creation and maintenance of the Revit Template files to assure that the standards are being fully utilized, integrated, and implemented into all projects.
- Assist and advise leadership with setting the direction for the organization towards the goal of improving design, efficiency, and cost savings through the use of BIM tools and processes. (10%)
- Test new hires skills and knowledge in BIM.
- Develop employee education and continuing education plan and implement plan for Autodesk Revit applications and other FM BIM related technologies.
- Mentor and train current and new employees on all applicable APL incorporated BIM software.
- Develop written technology plan and budgets for future technology adoption that aligns with APL goals of leveraging BIM applications and workflows for design and facility management. (5%)
- Build an onboarding plan for new employees for Revit & FM BIM technology training, workflow, process, and best practices.
- Active involvement with applicable Industry Organizations to Identify and evaluate trends and business opportunities to make innovative recommendations relating to BIM. (5%)
- Support Managers to assess technical competencies of staff and provide recommendations on how to increase staff competencies.
- Educate Project Managers on BIM, its uses on their projects, the value and importance of a Project Execution Plan.
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Minimum of 5 years of BIM production experience with building components in architectural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and/or structural.
- Architectural or Engineering degree with minimum 5 years practicing design experience.
- 2 years' experience in BIM Management role.
- Demonstrated expert proficiency in the use and application of:
- Autodesk® AutoCAD computer-aided design and drafting software.
- Microsoft Windows®, Excel®, and Outlook®.
- Expert experience utilizing Autodesk Revit® 2017 and Navisworks required.
- Ability to work in a dynamic team environment and possess highly effective interpersonal skills.
- Highly organized and able multitask.
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must possess a current state-of-residence driver's license.
- Ability to use time productively, maximize efficiency, and meet challenging work goals.
- Ability to take on additional responsibilities as needed as well as determine and manage priorities with minimal guidance.
- Demonstrate knowledge of model based reporting, including overall schedule based 4D modeling and detailed sequence models to aid project teams in communicating construction activities.
- Must possess a current state-of-residence driver's license.
- Prior experience with IBM's Tririga and Maximo or similar Facility Management Systems software.
- Prior experience designing for laboratory and data center applications.
- Prior experience working in a multi-building campus environment.
Special Working Conditions:
- Operation of APL vehicles.
- Occasional travel and overtime may be required.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs, work from ladders, scaffolding, roofs, etc. and maneuver within confined spaces.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship and the ability to acquire Secret Clearance.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Gianni works on the design, modeling, and simulation of low- to high-fidelity radar projects for the lab. He also conducts tests to evaluate new technologies.
Back to top