BMD Lead Cybersecurity Engineer
We are seeking a Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) Lead Cybersecurity Engineers to provide strategic thought-leadership and drive day-to-day research, innovation, and the application of cutting edge cybersecurity solutions needed to defend our nation's air and missile defense systems from cyber threats.
Exercise your cybersecurity and engineering expertise in support of our nation's air and missile defense systems. More than simply satisfying compliance, cybersecurity engineering is a multi-faceted technical discipline aimed at driving rigorous systems engineering principles into the design, development, and operation of cybersecurity capabilities within complex systems. Merging state-of-the-art cyber resilience techniques with risk management, cybersecurity engineers are integrated into systems engineering teams and drive the deliberate definition and implementation of cybersecurity controls, technologies, and solutions.
As a BMD Lead Cybersecurity Engineer, lead teams of up to fifteen (15) staff in the engineering, development, integration, and testing of cybersecurity solutions for BMD Radar, Missile, Command and Control, and Combat Systems. Define and drive full systems engineering support across the system development lifecycle including concept definition, requirements, architecture, design, development, integration, and testing. Lead teams of experts to integrate COTS, GOTS, and Open Source cybersecurity products into comprehensive cybersecurity solutions specifically tailored for defense systems. Define measures and objectives, interact with sponsor leadership and expertise, and motivate and guide teams of cybersecurity engineers in the analysis of complex mission systems for cybersecurity vulnerabilities and risks. Demonstrate system strengths and weaknesses through hands-on testing. Devise innovative ways of applying sound cybersecurity principles within a constrained system. Contribute to task definition, execution planning, staff composition, and cost estimation for complex system cybersecurity support. Work with Laboratory leadership to define multi-year investment, research, and sponsor-engagement strategies; support staff development including hiring, training, and mentoring; and refine cybersecurity engineering methodologies, tools, and offerings.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics or related technical field.
- At least ten (10) years of experience in systems engineering, cybersecurity engineering, or concept development for complex systems with at least two (2) years of leadership experience.
- Expertise in requirements development, architecture product development, high-level design, product development, or test and evaluation.
- Mastery of fundamental principles, MDA and DoD policy, and NIST guidance on Cybersecurity, Cyber Resilience, Cyber Risk Management, System Hardening, and Vulnerability Assessment.
- Experience defining and applying cybersecurity principles to complex systems.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, and presentation).
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic team leader with the ability to independently plan, problem solve, motivate, and guide diverse staff teams to produce positive results for highly challenging sponsor needs.
- Current Secret clearance with ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret clearance.
- MS or PhD: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mathematics, Cyber Security, Computer Information Systems Security or related field.
- Fifteen (15) or more years of experience performing systems engineering for C2BMC, AEGIS BMD, THAAD, GMD or similarly complex MDA BMDS systems, sensors, and weapons with more than five (5) years of leadership experience.
- Experience defining and driving the implementation of a new concept or technology within one of the Cyber Security knowledge domains. Operational experience with DoD systems.
- Current Top Secret clearance with the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance above Top Secret.
Special Working Conditions [Travel, working in closed areas, extended hours]: Occasional travel and work at military facilities including underway on US Navy ships and aircraft, requiring occasional work outside of and in excess of normal working hours.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top