The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, is located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking a Benefits Administrator.
The Benefits Administrator is responsible for the day-to-day operations of group benefits programs (group health, dental, vision, life insurance, travel accident, flexible spending). Provides excellent customer service and quality benefits plans communication tools for staff and supports the Health and Welfare Plans Manager with analytical and technical support in the delivery of the benefit programs.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Develop and implement communication tools and resources to enhance understanding of the Laboratory's benefits package. Design and distribute materials for benefits orientations, open enrollment and summary plan descriptions. (30%)
- Support staff in understanding benefits by conducting benefits orientations, group presentations, and one on one counseling to staff preparing to retire. (25%)
- Oversee maintenance of employee benefits files, maintain group benefits database and validate employee payroll records. Run ACA and COBRA processes monthly. (15%)
- Evaluate and revise internal processes to reduce costs and increase efficiency. Document and maintain administrative procedures for assigned benefits processes. (10%)
- Ensure compliance with applicable government regulations. Ensure timeliness and accuracy of required reporting and fees. Prepare draft 5500 and Summary Annual Reports. Work with consultants to ensure nondiscrimination testing is successfully completed annually. (10%)
- Monitor plan claims and administrative costs. Develop dashboard of plan performance metrics to present to management and Benefits Committee. Complete benefits surveys and analyze results. Assess plan performance and industry trends to assist with development of future benefits designs. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.Required Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, business, HR or related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 4 years of progressive experience in health and welfare benefit plan administration in a corporate or consulting environment.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and foster positive partnering relationships with vendors.
- Ability to present complex benefit information in a clear, concise manner while demonstrating breadth and depth of content knowledge.
- Strong analytical skills and a thorough knowledge of plan designs. Ability to understand and evaluate data.
- Capability of effective planning and priority setting. Demonstrated ability to manage several complex projects simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Strong Microsoft skills, particularly in Excel.
- Knowledge of all pertinent federal/state regulations and compliance requirements affecting employee benefits programs, including ERISA, COBRA, ACA, Section 125, Medicare, Social Security and DOL requirements.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Certified Employee Benefit Specialist (CEBS) or Group Benefits Associate (GBA) designation.
- Prior experience with PeopleSoft HRIS.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top