Assistant Program Manager for EW Threat Engineering
Are you passionate about leading forward-thinking research and engineering efforts with impact across a broad range of air & missile defense technologies?
Are you able to organize and lead diverse dynamic teams that work across engineering disciplines and organizational boundaries?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a self-motivated, enthusiastic, and dynamic individual to lead a mission portfolio that conducts threat engineering assessments and develops threat characterization products for Defense acquisition programs. Threat characterization products include high pedigree threat missile simulations to support design, development and testing of electronic warfare (EW) and integrated air & missile defense (IAMD) systems. You will be trusted with leading a diverse set of engineering activities to include all source intelligence analyses; threat design analyses; missile seeker and guidance, navigation & control (GNC) design; RF & IR signatures; modeling and simulation development; and test hardware development.
As Assistant Program Manager for EW Threat Engineering...
◦Your primary responsibility will be to work with the Program Manager to establish a compelling vision for EW Threat Engineering efforts; develop strategies for innovative, affordable, and effective solutions to sponsor needs; and provide leadership and direction to the execution of on-going work being performed by APL technical staff to ensure that sponsor requirements and APL commitments for deliverables are met.
◦You will coordinate with Surface EW development efforts to ensure that threat engineering activities are synchronized with EW and IAMD system development needs.
◦You will develop long-term professional relationships with sponsor leadership (at the O-6/GS-15 levels) to ensure that APL's work is of high impact, consistent with APL's position of trust and contributes to the strategic direction of the Navy's Surface Electronic Warfare programs.
◦You will assist sponsor leadership in developing roadmaps for their programs.
◦You will develop an organizational structure needed to effectively execute APL's EW Threat Engineering responsibilities.
◦You will foster collaboration with APL line management to define and communicate program priorities and resolve technical and programmatic risks.
◦You will actively engage in mentoring of staff and identify opportunities to stimulate and grow future program leaders.
◦You will maintain an ongoing understanding of the needs of staff with respect to EW Threat Engineering facilities and maintain plans for continued development of resources commensurate with strategic focus areas of the program.
◦You will work with line supervisors to define task and resource plans, assess work progress and address emergent resourcing issues.
◦You will review APL technical products to ensure the consistent delivery of quality technical products.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a B.S. degree in engineering or other meaningful technical field plus at least 10 years' experience in leading technical development activities.
- Have at least two years' experience in project or program management with demonstrated success in managing complex technical efforts.
- Have demonstrated success in mentoring or leading technical staff.
- Have highly effective oral and written communication skills.
- Have recent work experience with missile, radar, combat management and/or electronic warfare systems development.
- Have the ability to rapidly develop actionable plans in a quickly changing environment.
- Are willing and able to make frequent trips to sponsor offices in the Baltimore and Washington, DC area with occasional travel to destinations across the Continental US. Some international travel may be infrequently required.
- Hold an active Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
- Are able to obtain a Top Secret SCI level security clearance.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have an advanced technical and/or management degree.
- Have a detailed knowledge of anti-ship threat missile systems and interceptor missile systems.
- Have familiarity with NAVSEA PEO IWS development programs and program management offices.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top