Artificial Intelligence Engineer
Are you looking for an opportunity that will keep you engaged, challenged, and growing year after year? Are you looking for a job that prioritizes creative problem-solving over profits? Do you have a strong software engineering and mathematics background?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a non-profit scientific research and development laboratory, is looking to provide our country with ground-breaking capabilities in computer vision, machine learning, and interactive simulation.
To succeed, we need experienced engineers, scientists, and developers driven by curiosity, who are self-motivated to deliver solutions, and who have a passion for learning!
The Tactical Intelligence Systems Group of the Asymmetric Operations Sector is looking for AI Engineers create powerful, cutting-edge solutions for challenges in immersive user interfaces, run-time simulation, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. This may involve:
Surveying academic research to and industry tools to solve problems related to game engine rendering, graphics optimization, and custom shaders
Creating simulations to generate datasets for machine learning algorithms
Performing full-stack architecture and API design for integrating diverse systems
Designing and implementing artificial intelligence algorithms to drive characters in a variety of simulations
Developing immersive user experiences in augmented and virtual reality
Developing software frameworks to manage and analyze agent behavior
Collaborating with Laboratory, for-profit contractor, and sponsor teams to address critical sponsor needs
Effectively communicating results with non-expert audiences, and generating innovative ideas to benefit the country
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
1. Apply knowledge in game design, machine learning, full-stack design, and software development to data analysis problems for our sponsors (45%).
2. Work independently and on teams to engineer software solutions (25%).
3. Explore promising research and maintain/gain the technical edge required for projects. Share and develop new approaches and methods (20%).
4. Collaborate to document and support software analytics, and clearly present status and results to internal and external stakeholders (10%).
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or related technical field, with 5 years of programming experience.
- A demonstrated ability to deliver operational solutions within business constraints.
- A strong math background.
- Demonstrated expertise in any of the following areas: software development, development using 3D game engine, back-end development, machine learning, natural language processing and translation, knowledge representation and reasoning with evidence, synthetic data generation.
- The desire to quickly learn, research, and develop in many of those areas!
- US citizenship, and ability to obtain a Department of Defense security clearance.
- M.S./Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or a related field and 10 years of relevant experience.
- 2 years of experience performing development using a graphics engine such as Unity3D, Unreal Engine, Blender or Maya.
- 2 years of experience applying machine learning to data science or artificial intelligence.
- Experience developing Augmented/Virtual Reality solutions
- Experience with team-based development of software products and demonstrated ability to lead development/research projects.
- Experience with machine learning libraries such as Tensorflow, Keras, Caffe, MXNet, CNTK, and scikit-learn. Familiarity with modern databases and parallel computation also desired.
- Active or current Department of Defense Security Clearance
Special Working Conditions: Some limited travel (up to 10%) to customer sites may be required. Occasional weekend and other after-hours work required to handle and/or complete critical project/work-related business needs.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top