Artificial Intelligence / Autonomous Coordination and Control Professional
- Laurel, MD
Do you have experience with autonomous coordination and control using state of the art Artificial Intelligence (AI) algorithms?
Are you passionate about developing innovative technologies to solve technical challenges involving the defense of the US and her allies?
If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
The Advanced Information Technologies and Data Fusion Group (A4I) develops advanced algorithmic solutions to our nation's greatest technical challenges. Our group is seeking an innovative technical leader to develop and analyze novel solutions for multi-agent problems operating in uncertain environments, in context of critical DoD problems. We are very interested in someone who understands the underlying assumptions and formulations that must be accounted for when designing and implementing such techniques.
As an Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning Professional your responsibilities will include:
- Investigating, and prototyping solutions for multi-agent heterogeneous autonomous systems operating in resource constrained and uncertain environments
- Developing state-of-the-art AI / ML algorithms that can be used to address Air and Missile Defense problems of interest
- Designing rigorous testing and validation methodologies to assess algorithmic applicability
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of recent advances in the field.
- Sharing knowledge by clearly articulating ideas in written documents and presentations to technical staff, management and government decision makers.
- Collaborating with a technically diverse APL community to develop new potential applications of these techniques.
- Interacting with various data types, simulations, formats and structures in a clear and appropriate manner to enable robust pre-processing, normalization or other manipulations as needed.
- Mentoring early career engineers with regards to the state-of-the-art in AI/ML domain.
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you have:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science or equivalent.
- At least five years professional work experience.
- Experience in typical Machine Learning and Data Science packages like: Pandas, Tensorflow, Pytorch, sklearn, and OpenAI Gym.
- Understanding of reinforcement learning
- Experience with any of the following program languages: Python, MATLAB, C, C , C#, or Java, with fluency in at least one.
- Ability to interface prototyped code with external applications/simulations (Unity, MuJoCo, AirSim etc.)
- Ability to rapidly translate and prototype state of the art algorithms to a variety of problem sets.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- An MS or PhD in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science or equivalent.
- At least eight years professional work experience.
- A proven track record in designing and developing algorithms for solving multi-agent learning problems.
- Experience developing and integrating control systems with hardware and other autonomous systems
- Experience with Markov Decision Processes (MDPs) and Partially Observable MDPs.
- Experience with Deep Neural Networks architectures (Convolutional, Recurrent, Autoencoders, Transformers etc.)
- Experience in using high performance computing structures like GPU and CPU clusters.
- Demonstrated experience in collaboration and version management systems.
- An Active Top Secret/SCI Clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top