Artificial Intelligence and Data Fusion Professional
- Laurel, MD
Do you have experience with data fusion and artificial intelligence / machine learning?
Are you passionate about developing innovative technologies to solve technical challenges involving the defense of the US and her allies?
If so, this is the perfect opportunity for you.
The Advanced Information Technologies and Data Fusion Group (A4I) develops advanced algorithmic solutions to our nation's greatest technical challenges. Our group is seeking an innovative technical leader to develop and analyze novel solutions in the realm of data fusion, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), etc., as applied to critical DoD problems and data sets. We are very interested in someone who understands the underlying algorithmic assumptions and formulations when applying, developing, and implementing such techniques.
As a Data Fusion Professional your responsibilities will include:
- Developing state-of-the-art data fusion algorithms that leverage both physics-based state estimation and appropriately applied AI / ML techniques to current and future Air and Missile Defense problem sets
- Performing prototype implementation of the algorithms developed and demonstration with appropriate data sets
- Designing rigorous testing and validation methodologies to assess where/when AI/ML algorithms are applicable
- Developing state estimation approaches that eliminate use of simplifying textbook assumptions where limiting to applications
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of recent advances in the field
- Sharing knowledge by clearly articulating ideas in written documents and presentations to technical staff, management and government decision makers
- Collaborating with a technically diverse APL community to develop new potential applications of these techniques
- Interacting with various data types, formats and structures in a clear and appropriate manner to enable robust pre-processing, normalization or other manipulations as needed
- Mentoring early career engineers with regards to the state-of-the-art in data fusion domain
You meet the minimum qualifications for this position if you have:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or equivalent
- At least five years professional work experience (years pursuing graduate degree may also be combined towards this qualification)
- Strong problem solving skills
- Experience with any of the following program languages: MATLAB, Python, C, C , C#, or Java. with fluency in at least one
- Ability to rapidly translate and prototype state of the art algorithms to a variety of problem sets
- Experience dealing with large, real-world data sets
- Exposure to AI/ML, state estimation, and/or data fusion algorithms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- An ability to obtain a Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have:
- An MS or PhD in Mathematics, Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or equivalent
- At least eight years professional work experience
- Experience with detection and estimation theory, stochastic processes, Bayesian inference, and Markov models
- A solid theoretical understanding and experience using fundamental data fusion and tracking techniques such as Kalman filtering, batch-processing, multiple-hypothesis data association, multiple dynamic models, etc.
- Experience fusing across multiple sources whose data may exhibit characteristics such as sub-dimensioned, time-late, biased, and negative data
- Demonstrated experience in collaboration and version management systems
- An Active Top Secret/SCI Clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top