- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about applying your Chemistry knowledge and experience toward solving complex national security challenges?
Do you have experience and interest in the detection of chemicals related to chemical warfare agents, toxic industrial chemicals, and explosives?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team at APL!
We are seeking an Analytical Chemist who is innovative, motivated, and curious. You will be a part of a diverse team of scientists and engineers who support the Applied Chemical Sensing efforts within the Homeland Protection, Special Operations, and National Health mission areas at APL.
As an Analytical Chemist, you will...
- Primarily support research and proposal activities.
- Develop analytical methods for material characterization studies.
- Develop test articles and materials for detector evaluation.
- Manage and/or support testing events.
- Assist in the preparation of reports and presentations to sponsors.
- Perform occasional travel (local and non-local, CONUS), occasional closed room work (report preparation), and outdoor field testing.
You will meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you:
- Have a B.S. in chemistry, material science, or related discipline with 2 years of analytical experience.
- Have demonstrated experience working with chromatographic, mass spectral, or optical chemical detection methods, developing analytical methods, and performing data analysis.
- Possess strong technical writing and presentation skills to both scientific and non-scientific personnel, and ability to and communicate unbiased evaluations of data and other information in technically complex situations.
- Are able to obtain a Secret DoD security clearance. If selected, applicant will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You will go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you:
- Have a M.S. in chemistry, material science, or related discipline with 5 years of relevant analytical experience in the chemistry and detection of chemical warfare agents, toxic industrial chemicals, explosives, and related materials. Interdisciplinary experience in science of olfaction a plus.
- Have practical experience with development of analytical methods for collection and analysis of environmental samples from air, soil, and other complex backgrounds.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top