Analyst - Modeler
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking an Analyst to support the National Health Program Area (NHPA) in its Research & Exploratory Development Department (REDD). The NHPA seeks to revolutionize health through science and engineering in collaboration with partners such as the John Hopkins Enterprise to discover, invent, scale, and disseminate solutions to health and healthcare challenges.
The Health Systems Engineering Group supports the NHPA by retaining technical competencies in systems engineering, software engineering, systems analysis, and project management with particular application to healthcare challenges. The successful candidate will be hired into the CRM section of the Group.
The Health Systems Engineering Group is seeking a highly skilled and motivated analyst/modeler to support its healthcare systems work. The successful candidate will provide cross-organizational projects by applying best practices in operations research, predictive analytics/machine learning, modeling and simulation and statistics used in healthcare environments, and will serve as a systems analysis expert on a team supporting the re-engineering of technologies, information, and workflows to improve patient safety and healthcare system reliability.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Participate in key technical efforts by applying and tailoring best practices for business analysis. Work collaboratively with project teams, end users/stakeholders to analyze, understand, and document the business processes. Work with stakeholders to elicit, document, and manage functional and non-functional requirements. Conduct requirements analysis; model the business process using process diagrams, flowcharts, data models, and decision models. Provide technical leadership to guide the development of customer solutions including data mining and appropriate statistical modeling techniques. Furnish deliverables that meet sponsor needs, are consistent with APL quality standards, and conform to the constraints of scope, schedule, and budget for our sponsors. Manage expectations of sponsors, and other internal and external stakeholders, by identifying, mitigating, and communicating risks on these projects. Establish and promote a climate conducive to intellectual curiosity, creativity, innovation, collaboration, growth, productivity, and respect for others. (80%)
- Support existing or new business activities to expand or refine the scope of the programs within the Research & Exploratory Development mission area and explore related opportunities tied to challenges in other mission areas. Help develop and guide the execution strategy required to revolutionize the National Health Program area, which may include supporting sponsor engagement meetings, proposal writing, and concept development. (10%)
- Participate in technical project reviews, promote operations research, machine learning, and mathematics best practices, and ensure that deliverables are furnished on-time, within budget, and according to APL technical quality standards. Communicate often and effectively with staff, Section Supervisors, and Group Supervisor. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- BS in operations research, information systems, statistics, mathematics, computer science, or related technical field or equivalent years of professional work experience in related discipline.
- Demonstrated experience in empirical research and inferential statistics
- Minimum of 2 years experience with reporting, data management, or data analytics, and visualization using market-leading tools, including statistical software packages such as SPSS, SAS, R, Stata, JMP.
- Basic IT competencies, including familiarity with relational database technology and query (SQL)
- Strong demonstrated skills in leadership, organization, and planning. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel up to 20%.
- Advanced degrees in epidemiology, mathematics, statistics, operations research, computer science, information systems, other applicable disciplines.
- Experience with simulation tools such as Arena, FlexSim, or Simio.
- A broad understanding of current challenges in health management and healthcare systems.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead a multidisciplinary team of technical staff in solving complex problems.
- Exposure to U.S. Military Health System, related vocabulary, and data systems
- Secret clearance
Special Working Conditions:
This position requires the ability to travel up to 20%.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu
Security: Eligibility for a secret clearance required. Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Meet Some of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory's Employees
Lead RF Systems Engineer
Mary Ann builds prototypes and integrates software and hardware communications in order to create complete systems for APL contracts and projects. She also collaborates with her team to fix software issues.
Back to top