The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking an Algorithm Developer.
Develop scientific algorithms and application software for novel RF signal exploitation and communications for the special operations and intelligence community.
Duties (Listed in order of importance with the estimated amount of time spent at each task):
- Work closely with signal processing and communication engineers to develop engineering application software for advanced RF exploitation and communication applications. (60%)
- Refine and integrate prototype code with government and commercial applications or other platforms. Rapidly migrate real-time data analysis tools and signal exploitation algorithms to platform specific applications. (20%)
- Develop and document formal and informal software requirements and specifications from written high-level specifications and simulations of operational algorithms to support development and testing. (10%)
- Document work in formal technical reports and informal memoranda. Present work to sponsors and the technical community. (5%)
- Participate in field evaluation of applications. Rapidly modify/update software in field according to test results and in response to emergent technical and operational requirements. (5%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, math, electrical engineering, physics, or equivalent with 5 years of experience. Demonstrated ability to design, implement, test, and debug efficient algorithms for signal and image processing, estimation and optimization, and/or classification. Fluency in multiple programming languages, including C/C and MATLAB. Experience using professional software development tools such as version control, issue trackers, debuggers, and profilers. Experience with both Linux and Windows operating systems and tool chains.
Special Working Conditions (travel, working in closed areas, extended hours): Limited travel required. Must be eligible for DOD clearance requiring background investigation and/or polygraph. Preference for current SSBI.
Security: Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
Benefits: APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
Equal Employment Opportunity:Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Back to top