- Laurel, MD
Do you want to be an Applied CFD Engineer?
Are you fluent in CFD? Are you experienced in high speed gas dynamics? Would you enjoy performing Aerodynamic and/or Aerothermal Analysis on rockets, missiles, and hypersonic vehicles? Do you enjoy customizing Linux cluster compute environments? If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking an individual with a strong interest in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) who will be dedicated to solving a broad range of critical challenges in the area of missile defense. You will perform CFD aerodynamic and aerothermal simulations related to subsonic, supersonic, and hypersonic missile configurations from launch to termination. And, you will support aerodynamic model development and wind tunnel testing for the design of new flight vehicles.
As an Applied CFD Engineer ...
- Your primary responsibility will be to perform applied computational analysis using commercial and in-house CFD software to simulate the aerodynamic and aerothermal flight environments of missiles during launch, boost, midcourse, and glide portions of trajectories.
- You will generate complex numerical grids to handle large scale problems involving detailed models of missiles, their components and complex configurations.
- You will manipulate and modify CAD models to ready for mesh generation
- You will compare predictions results with flight test data and literature.
- You will document results in technical memoranda and papers; present findings and provide expert opinion in technical interchange meetings.
- You will manage and maintain CFD software on High Performance Computing systems.
- You will install, compile, and upgrade software and optimize computational environments for maximize CFD efficiency in a parallel compute environment.
- You will debug compilation, installation, and code execution errors of CFD software in a Linux environment.
- You will interact with project managers, sponsors, contractors and other APL staff to establish and maintain relationships and to provide critical contributions.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
- Have a MS degree (or a Bachelor's degree plus 3 years of relevant work experience) in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or a related science.
- Have sound knowledge of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Have relevant experience in one or more of the following areas: computational fluid dynamics, grid generation, hypersonic flows, chemically reacting flows, solid rocket motors, nozzle flow, wind tunnel testing, and aerodynamic model development.
- Have knowledge and experience with software management, grid engines, queueing systems, and parallel processing.
- Have knowledge and experience with Linux clusters and scripting in Linux environments.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Are a highly dynamic, self-starter with strong organization and planning skills and a record of accomplishment in a team environment.
- Are willing to travel (less than 10%) both locally and domestically to meet with sponsors and contractors.
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
- Have a PhD in engineering, physics, or equivalent experience.
- Have experience in structured and unstructured grid generation and flow solvers using commercial and in-house codes.
- Have familiarity with CFD , Overflow, Cart3D, Pointwise, MIME, Overgrid, Tecplot and Fieldview.
- Have demonstrated ability to effectively lead a team of technical staff in solving complex problems.
- Currently hold a Secret, Top Secret or TS/SCI security clearance.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top