- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about being on the forefront of discovery for infectious diseases and health exposure science?
Do you thrive on working with diverse and interdisciplinary teams?
Are you a specialist in aerosol science and characterizing emerging biological threats?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team!
We at APL are passionate about getting the right solution to our customers and end users, and are committed to integrity and honesty. We strive to be a trusted agent for the government and cultivate a One Team environment of trust, transparency and accountability. At APL, you will be among creative thinkers, motivated problem solvers and life-long learners that want to strengthen the safety and security of our country.
As an Aerosol Scientist....
- Your primary role will be to lead and contribute to a variety of research, development, and characterization projects in aerosol and biological sciences to help understand and mitigate emerging health-related aerosol threats and infectious diseases in clinical environments and other settings.
- You will demonstrate technical leadership through leading small teams and writing technical reports and publications. You will publish and present results to the scientific community.
- You will track progress to ensure milestones are met at the highest levels of quality and innovation, and communicate key findings both internally across teams and externally to sponsors and the broader research community.
- You will develop concepts for white papers and proposals by understanding sponsor and end-user needs, promoting a collaborative exchange of ideas.
- You will provide leadership in development of new opportunities and support internal initiatives driving technical innovation and growth in aerosol sciences relevant to APL sponsors and in alignment with APL strategy.
- You will be at the forefront of strategy development and sponsor engagement for aerosol sciences and APL.
- You will build diverse and high-performing teams, providing technical mentorship of staff.
- You will travel approximately two weeks per year and work in Biosafety Level 2 laboratories.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- A Master’s degree in Aerosol Science, Biology, Engineering or related discipline and experience with aerosol analytical equipment and methods.
- Experience with laboratory measurements of aerosol properties. Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong hands-on laboratory skills and ability to manage multiple simultaneous assignments and rapidly changing priorities.
- Methodical, meticulous work practices and excellent interpersonal, logical reasoning, and organizational skills.
- The ability to work collaboratively in a team environment with scientists and engineers representing different backgrounds, skill sets, and experience levels.
- The ability to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
- A PhD in Aerosol Science, Biology, engineering or related discipline.
- MPH and solid understanding of aerosol exposure science.
- Strong background in aerobiology or bioaerosol science.
- Experience in project management and training in managing small teams and projects.
- Experience assembling test hardware and performing field testing with biological or chemical sensors and samplers.
- Experience in working with biological and chemical agent or simulant aerosol and an understanding of biological detection technologies.
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis methods and experimental design. Working knowledge of epidemiology and public health topics.
- Experience in writing and submitting technical proposals.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top