Aerosol and Atmospheric Scientist
- Laurel, MD
Are you passionate about providing our nation's defenders with the best possible capabilities?
Do you thrive on working with diverse and interdisciplinary teams?
Are you an expert in atmospheric and aerosol science and characterizing emerging biological and chemical threats?
If so, we are looking for someone like you to join our team!
At APL, we at APL are passionate about getting the right solution to our customers and end users, and are committed to integrity and honesty. We strive to be a trusted agent for the government and cultivate a One Team environment of trust, transparency and accountability. At APL, you will be among creative thinkers, motivated problem solvers and life-long learners that want to strengthen the safety and security of our country and our warfighter.
As an Atmospheric and Aerosol Scientist....
- Your primary role will be to lead and contribute to teams in the development, test, and evaluation and research in aerosol and biological sciences to help characterize and ultimately defeat biological and chemical threats.
- You will lead and execute externally and internally funded projects involving chemical, biological, and radiological aerosol research and development, characterization, and test and evaluation.
- You will be at the forefront of strategy development and sponsor engagement for aerosol sciences for our group and APL.
- You will demonstrate technical leadership through written technical reports, white papers, and proposals. You will publish and present results in the scientific community.
- You will develop concepts for white papers and proposals by understanding sponsor and end user needs and by building diverse and high-performing teams, providing technical mentorship of staff, and promoting collaborative exchange of ideas.
- You will track progress to ensure milestones are met at the highest levels of quality and innovation, and communicate key findings both internally across teams and externally to sponsors and the broader research community.
- You will provide leadership in development of new opportunities and support internal initiatives driving technical innovation and growth in aerosol sciences relevant to APL sponsors and in alignment with APL strategy.
- You will travel approximately two weeks per year and work in Biosafety Level 2 and 3 laboratories.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you have...
- A Bachelor's degree in Aerosol Science, Biology, Engineering or related discipline and experience with aerosol analytical equipment and methods.
- Experience with laboratory measurements of aerosol properties. Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong laboratory skills and ability to manage multiple simultaneous assignments and rapidly changing priorities.
- Methodical, meticulous work practices and excellent interpersonal, logical reasoning, and organizational skills.
- The ability to work collaboratively in a team environment with scientists and engineers representing different backgrounds, skill sets, and experience levels.
- The ability to obtain a Secret security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you have...
- Experience working in a BSL3 environment.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience assembling test hardware and performing T&E on biological or chemical sensors.
- Experience supporting field testing.
- Experience in working with biological and chemical agent or simulant aerosol and an understanding of biological detection technologies.
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis methods and experimental design.
- Experience in writing and submitting technical proposals.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top