Advanced Development Systems Engineer
Do you enjoy developing innovative tools for analyzing state-of-the-art systems?
Do you want to make significant contributions to improve essential U. S. Naval capabilities through systems engineering?
Are you passionate about working with groundbreaking, next-generation technologies?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join us at APL.
We are seeking a dynamic and creative systems engineer to help us assess the performance and influence the capability development of the U.S. Navy's submarine-based combat systems. We are looking to push the boundaries across dynamic and large-scale data science and full life cycle systems engineering activities to assure confidence in our performance methods and analytics. Your contributions will help us transform data into knowledge, enabling decision-makers to make informed choices on the future direction of the Navy's submarine-based combat systems. You will join a hardworking and expert team of engineers, subject matter analysts and software developers in an inclusive environment that values creative collaboration and innovation.
As a Software Systems Engineer…
- Your primary responsibility will be to apply systems engineering skills to the development of software tools to support performance analyses of U.S. Navy submarine-based combat systems. You will join a complementary team of engineers, subject matter analysts and software developers focused on assessing in-lab and production system performance to inform future development decision-making and optimize operational utility and employment.
- You will lead an internal team of software developers and system administrators to develop and maintain an infrastructure suite of software tools and hardware systems to support multi-generational performance comparisons throughout the program life cycle. You will assist program management with technical project planning and evaluations and promote sound system engineering and software development practices.
- You will collaborate with internal and external partners in working groups to identify and assess new technology applications and capabilities to inform the future development direction. You will research, investigate, and experiment with next-generation technologies and look for creative applications in unconventional ways.
- You will work with test teams in the planning and execution of system performance assessment events and exercises. You will advise the teams and apply systems engineering skills to ensure that the test scope, objectives, execution methodology and analysis requirements are comprehensive.
You meet our minimum qualifications for this position if you…
- Possess a BS degree in systems engineering, computer science, computer engineering, engineering science, or other related field.
- Have 5 years of systems engineering experience, with knowledge of software development methodologies, best practices, and tools.
- Are passionate about applying systems engineering and analytical skills in an innovative and collaborative environment.
- Are proficient with Linux- and Windows-based software systems, data visualization and large-scale relational databases.
- Have strong interpersonal skills and are skilled at developing relationships across organizational teams.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Are proficient at multi-tasking, prioritizing assignments, communicating progress and meeting deadlines.
- Are willing to participate in system test, delivery, and integration tests at sponsor or customer sites.
- Have or are able to obtain a Top Secret/SCI security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for an SSBI and access to Sensitive Compartmented Information. Preference for current SSBI. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Possess an MS degree in systems engineering, computer science, computer engineering, engineering science, or a related field.
- Have 2 years of experience leading a technical team.
- Have previous experience with U.S. Navy combat systems.
- Have a strong background or previous experience in acoustics, signal processing, or mathematics.
- Are proficient with programming languages such as C/C and/or Java.
Why Work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Back to top