Acoustic Modeler and Analyst
- Laurel, MD
Do you have a passion for systems performance analysis?
Are you proficient with underwater acoustics?
If so, APL is looking for someone like you to join our team!
We are seeking anAcoustic Modeler and Analyst to help us design, prototype, and test novel sonar systems. You’ll be joining a hardworking team of physicists, engineers, and mathematicians who take new acoustic and electromagnetic sensor systems from theory to reality in support of U.S. homeland security. To be prepared to solve new and evolving challenges, our team strives to foster a collaborative environment of continuous learning. As a team member you will contribute to sensor system performance prediction and assessment.
As an Acoustic Modeler and Analyst…
- Your primary responsibility will be to conduct acoustic system performance modeling for undersea warfare projects
- You will develop and maintain models of underwater acoustic propagation and system performance
- You will analyze sonar system data
- You will detail and present findings
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you…
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or other related discipline with relevant experience or coursework in underwater acoustics modeling approaches
- Have the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Are proficient in MATLAB
- Are able to obtain an Interim Secret level security clearance by your start date and can ultimately obtain a Top Secret level clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You’ll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you…
- Have a Masters or PhD in Physics, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or a related discipline.
- Have experience in developing acoustic system performance and comparing model outputs to data.
- Possess a current active secret or higher level clearance
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation’s most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. While we are dedicated to solving complex challenges and pioneering new technologies, what makes us truly outstanding is our culture. We offer a vibrant, welcoming atmosphere where you can bring your authentic self to work, continue to grow, and build strong connections with inspiring teammates.
At APL, we celebrate our differences and encourage creativity and bold, new ideas. Our employees enjoy generous benefits, including a robust education assistance program, unparalleled retirement contributions, and a healthy work/life balance. APL’s campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities atwww.jhuapl.edu/careers.
Back to top