2017 DevOps Intern
ABOUT JIVE SOFTWARE
Jive Software is the leading provider of modern communication and collaboration solutions for business. Our products empower people and organizations to work better together, using technology that adapts to their way – not the other way. The world's best companies depend on Jive to unleash the ideas and impact of their employees, partners and customers.
We're all about working better together inside Jive, too. If you're looking for a fun, inspiring environment where people love their work and do some of the best work of their lives, this is it.
The DevOps intern will be responsible for building a team dashboard, to aggregate and present data from various sources including: Datadog, Bitbucket, Jira, Sumologic, and Collins. The dashboard will be deployed to Jive’s microservices platform, and the interface will be on permanent display in the team’s seating area. The dashboard must be customizable by the team, so that we can continue to maintain the service and ensure that we have relevant data.
The position is located in Portland, Or.
There are a number of milestones for this project:
- MS1: Learn about Jive’s microservices platform on Kubernetes.
- The intern will gain an understanding of the Jive microservice environment, and our team will gain insight on how to improve our Onboarding process and platform documentation.
- MS2: Choose a dashboarding platform
- The intern will research dashboarding options, present the options to the team for input, and make a final decision on how to implement the dashboard service.
- MS3: Create the Minimally Viable Product (MVP)
- The intern will create a service that is able to display at least two metrics from at least two sources, when visiting an HTTP endpoint. The sources must be configurable in some way.
- MS4: Secure the service
- The service must use SSL, and potentially require authorization.
- MS5 and beyond: Improve and Iterate
- Generally this will be adding more data sources, and more visualizations, but at this point the team will evaluate the product and define the next features to be added, at the end of each sprint. All remaining Sprint time will be dedicated to iterating on the product to continually improve it.
- Demonstrated scripting and/or programming abilities
- Experience with Go and/or python
- Docker, Kubernetes, or Public Cloud (AWS, Azure, GCE) experience a plus
- Demonstrable understanding of development practices
- Desire to learn about the correlation between systems performance data and resource management in a public cloud environment
- Strong Communication skills – written and verbal
- Obtaining a Computer Science, Information Systems, Software Engineering, or Information Technology degree
- Junior or Senior class level
CULTURE: THE JIVE 5
- Jive Pride: We are passionate about our vision, our product, and changing the way people work.
- Customers First: Our best days are when we help our customers be successful and open up new possibilities for companies to work better together.
- Jivers Rock: We are gritty GNAKS (Good Natured A** Kickers) who take on big challenges and are relentless in our commitment to help each other be successful.
- Push the Boundaries: We are constantly curious, always striving to innovate and deliver exceptional outcomes.
- One Jive: Our values of community, teamwork and diversity are unwavering.
Jive is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age (if the individual is 18 years of age or older), veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For more information, please click on the following link:
Meet Some of Jive's Employees
Senior DevOps Engineer
As Senior DevOps Engineer, Sam creates the glue between the tools and systems that automate Jive’s microservices infrastructure. He writes the code that runs Jive’s high-quality infrastructure and programs.
Back to top