Tax Developer - Tax Preparation
- Sarasota, FL
At Jackson Hewitt, we are working hard for the hardest working and we are on a mission to completely change the way our customers engage with their personal finances. Jackson Hewitt combines the fun, fast-paced culture of a startup with the scale and reputation of one of the nation's largest retailers (over 6,000 locations).
We have a passion for our employees and our customers. We recognize and appreciate that our team members are our single greatest competitive advantage. Being an industry leader requires a consistent focus on quality, innovation, performance and results.
Do you have professional tax preparation experience and enjoy working with technology? Do you use Excel macro logic to work faster, smarter?
At Jackson Hewitt Tax Services, our Tax Development Team uses their Microsoft Office skills to design and develop tax content using Visual Basic. The Tax Developer is a key member of the team reproducing IRS and state tax agency forms and calculations to enable Jackson Hewitt to deliver quality technology solutions to the business.
What you'll do:
- Develop cost-effective information technology solutions by creating new, and modifying existing, tax software applications.
- Research and analyze requirements and existing business processes to formulate a design and implement tax law changes working with team lead and tax agency liaisons.
- Code, test, and debug using Jackson Hewitt development tools and proprietary software.
- Analyze and identify product discrepancies and recommends solutions.
- Under guidance, complete assignments and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Gain hands-on knowledge of existing in-house tool sets.
- Follow established procedures while continuously helping to find ways to improve performance by streamlining procedures, compiling custom helper tools, and provide healthy feedback on currently utilized processes and procedures.
- Communicate the status of assignments with team leads.
- Communicate with various analyst and architecture teams for clarification of specifications as needed.
- Work with other team members to ensure a common solution across systems.
What skills you'll bring for success:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Computer Science, Business-related degree, or combination of equivalent experience.
- 2+ years previous tax experience, preferably preparing personal tax returns.
- Microsoft Office, including extensive Excel experience; Microsoft Access a plus.
- Ability to gain proficiency with the application development processes and platform used by Jackson Hewitt to develop software solutions.
- Requires strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills to work effectively in a team environment.
- Visual Basic experience a plus.
- Enrolled Agent or CPA a plus.
What you'll get:
- Competitive Salary + Bonus
- Over 4 Weeks Paid Time Off + 11 Paid Holidays
- 401k + Match
- Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Pet Insurance
- Education Reimbursement
- Company Celebrations and Appreciation Events
- Fast-paced, innovative culture with an open and collaborative environment
- Ample opportunity to develop core and new skillsets and have a stake in your own success
- Freedom to create your best work and make a visible impact on the organization
- Opportunities for advancement within the organization
We appreciate your interest in Jackson Hewitt Tax Service. Jackson Hewitt Tax Service is an equal employment opportunity employer. The Company's policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age (40 and over), disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. Jackson Hewitt Tax Service also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. It is also Jackson Hewitt Tax Service's policy to comply with all applicable state and federal laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.
Back to top