Junior Science Writer
- Rockville, MD
As a Junior Science Writer, you will research, and compile data used in preparing a broad range of complex scientific publications focused on biomedical sciences. Assigned documents may include scientific reports, summary reports, newsletters, abstracts, research publications, scholarly monographs, annotated bibliographies, state-of-the-science reports, white papers, factsheets, multimedia materials, speeches, trip reports, media advisories, scripts, training materials, proposals, public relations materials, and other scientific information. You will be working with detailed specifications provided by supervisors and other technical staff. Additionally, you are expected to demonstrate good judgment, initiative and attention to detail in performing and completing assigned tasks on schedule all while creatively solving daily issues as they may arise.
What Will You Be Engaged In Day-To-Day?
- Analyzing requirements to determine the types of documentation needed for assigned writing tasks.
- Preparing an outline of contents.
- Assisting with the development of source material by researching appropriate published materials and electronic sources and by consulting with technical staff and other research sources.
- Compiling information to be used in preparing moderately complex documents or sections of documents.
- Preparing written text as assigned.
- Coordinating layout and organization of materials and other documents according to prepared outlines and specifications.
- Ensuring technical accuracy and completeness of documentation.
- Organizing documents for publication and client review.
- Coordinating with proofreaders, editors, word processing operators, and desktop publishers to ensure adherence to standards for quality, graphics, format, and style.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
What Qualifications Will Help You Succeed?
- A B.S. or B.A. degree in an applicable scientific field of study, plus 2 years of experience. An advanced degree and NIH experience is strongly desired.
- A working knowledge of biomedical sciences and scientific technology.
- Proficiency in proofreading and editing.
- Previous experience in the minority health and health disparities fields.
- Experience attending meetings and writing technical meeting summaries for NIH institutes focused in the fields of aging, neurological conditions, cancer, and heart, lung or blood diseases is preferred.
- Excellent written communication skills, including expert document organization, research, and flawless English grammar, spelling, and punctuation; proficiency in the editorial style of the U.S. Government Printing Office; personal computer literacy; and demonstrated competence with one or more word processing software packages adopted as standard by the company or the client.
- Strong self-initiative, dependability, and discretion in dealing with proprietary information.
Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
IQ Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/Disabled/Veteran). IQ Solutions prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin or ancestry, marital status, status as a military veteran (including recently separated and other protected veterans), or status as a qualified handicapped or disabled individual, or as Vietnam-Era Veteran, in accordance with applicable law. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here.
Back to top