Director, Communication Research and Data
The Director of Communication Research and Data will serve as a member of the IQ management team overseeing a workstream focused on using research and data analysis to solve customer problems; enhance corporate offerings; and plan, develop and assess health communication initiatives and campaigns. The ideal candidate has a passion for public health, a working knowledge of behavior change theory, a history of innovative thinking, and the capacity to come up with multiple ways of solving a problem. This role starts our communications strategy development off on the right foot so we’re reaching the right audience with the right message through the right channels.
What Will You Be Engaged In Day-To-Day?
Research Workstream Management
Core responsibilities will include providing health communication research guidance and oversight across all projects and corporate efforts. In this lead role, the Director will manage and mentor a team of research analysts, while also providing guidance and subject matter expertise to a team of data analysts. This individual is responsible for overseeing the company’s health communication research efforts—including formative and evaluation research through focus groups, in-depth interviews, environmental scans, literature reviews, and surveys and providing guidance and strategic direction across these projects. This individual is also responsible for understanding the data that resides in the organization, developing processes to ensure data quality and accuracy and performing quality control measures to make sure data integrity is maintained. With internal and external stakeholders, this individual will review qualitative and quantitative data and develop strategic, insightful and actionable project recommendations.
The primary focus of the research and data functions for the Director will be to help build health communication research projects and implement data driven decision-making into all aspects of project work and client engagement; mentor staff working on a diverse set of research projects, and grow the research team and project portfolio.
In this role, the Director will be able to apply public health theory and health communication best practices to campaigns and initiatives. Understanding the critical nature of formative and evaluation research to any health communication effort, the Director will help identify research needs, but will also focus on implementing the best actionable steps and initiatives as a result of the gathered and analyzed data. In this role, the Director will be responsible for consulting on planning and execution of impactful communications, brand, and message strategies throughout the lifecycle of health education initiatives and campaigns .
Project Management and Implementation
The Director will serve as the corporate monitor or project director on health communications and research contracts, while also serving as a communications research subject matter expert or contributor on other contracts. Responsibilities will range from budget and client management, to strategy development and implementation of tactics. Project support will cross all pillars and workstreams of the organization.
The Director will support corporate business development with a focus on expanding our portfolio of health communication research projects across Federal agencies.
What Qualifications Will Help You Succeed?
- A MPH or MS or higher, plus a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience including supervisory, research and data analysis experience, in a public health field (government contracting) preferred.
- Significant experience in a government contracting and agency environment, including budget responsibility. The government contracting experience must include technical program planning and implementation, contract interpretation and administration, budget development, and administration of government projects.
- Ability to apply public health theory and health communication best practices to the development of a campaign/initiative.
- Firm understanding of health communication research methods and experience applying these methods (e.g., focus groups, in-depth interviews, surveys, environmental scans, literature reviews).
- Strong data visualization and analytical skills.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Google Data Studio, SQL/ Relational Databases, Tableau.
- Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative analysis tools (e.g., NVivo, Atlas.ti, Qualtrics).
- Experience developing and successfully submitting peer-reviewed research articles and conference abstracts.
- Team player mentality – even as a Director, you may need to “roll up your sleeves.” A collaborative attitude and the ability to identify and resolve problems in a team environment.
- Meaningful interest and experience in mentoring junior staff.
- A passion for learning and staying current with new and future public health, communications, and digital trends, as well as experience growing support for integrating emerging trends into existing processes both internally and with clients.
- Strong organizational skills, initiative, and follow-through; and flexibility and responsiveness to changing requirements and conditions.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- The ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, pay attention to details, and handle a variety of responsibilities simultaneously without missing a beat.
Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
IQ Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/Disabled/Veteran). IQ Solutions prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin or ancestry, marital status, status as a military veteran (including recently separated and other protected veterans), or status as a qualified handicapped or disabled individual, or as Vietnam-Era Veteran, in accordance with applicable law. For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here.
See Inside the Office of IQ Solutions
IQ Solutions uses strategic communications, evidence-based research, public health theory, and technological innovation to help share knowledge that empowers people and improves their daily lives. Unlike other digital marketing and communications firms, IQ Solutions partners with agencies that work in public health and are passionate about improving wellness.
Back to top