Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
We are looking for an experienced Systems Engineer to help support our terrestrial data center High-Performance Computing (HPC) environment and cloud-based systems. Our Systems Engineers work closely with DevOps and Site Reliability Engineers (SRE) as well as a large Software Engineering organization. Our Systems Engineers work closely with production and development teams. They will assist with development work, operational support for new and existing services, and supply to the constant improvement of production systems. Candidates should be able to perform functions required to configure, support and tackle issues with large scale computing environments hosted in a co-lo facility and in Amazon Web Services (AWS).
What you’ll do:
- Work with our Bioinformatics group to maintain and improve our HPC environment
- Collaborate with DevOps and Site Reliability Engineering to help improve our infrastructure
- Relentlessly look for ways to simplify and automate our environment
- Partner with the Information Security team to prevent and remediate security issues
- Participate in on-call responses to incidents including crafting fixes and improving systems
- Take feature requests from business partners, prioritize and implement as appropriate
What you bring:
- Equal experience in HPC and large-scale storage as well as Cloud computing environments (Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Azure, etc.)
- Proven troubleshooting skills in computing
- Scripting or programming skills in Bash, Go, Python, or Java in a Linux environment
- Experience supporting containerized workflows (Docker, Singularity) in production
- Strong troubleshooting skills, curiosity, and interest in learning more about system internals
- Willingness to pick up and implement new technologies quickly in order to increase efficiencies and reduce latencies throughout our production and development environments
- Affinity for an open workplace that encourages learning, cooperation, and teamwork
- Preferred: Knowledge of cluster software such as Grid Engine, Slurm, PBS, etc.
- Preferred: Experience building, supporting and maintaining genomics or other intensive pipeline workloads in a HPC environment
- Preferred: Familiarity with configuration management/automation, (SaltStack, Ansible, Puppet, Chef), orchestration and infrastructure provisioning tools
- Preferred: Experience with bootstrap tools for bare metal provisioning of on-premise distributed computing platforms (packer, ironic, cobbler, etc.)
- Preferred: Knowledge of batch job scheduling software such as Grid Engine, Slurm, PBS, etc.
- Preferred: Deploying and leading hybrid and/or cloud-native high performance compute environments in AWS
At Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s specialists in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. Our teams thrive in our dynamic organization which has been crafted to empower them to make the biggest impact they can for our patients. We give our employees the ability to explore interests and capabilities broadly within the organization. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility. We also provide excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we’re changing healthcare to change lives. Join us!
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.