Lab Automation and Process Development Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
Invitae is a healthcare technology company that leverages genetic information to empower doctors and patients to make informed medical decisions. Our development team works on a variety of projects ranging from innovations in healthcare systems to taming the chaos of biology. We are constantly improving our tools and technologies to deliver the highest quality actionable information to doctors and patients. Behind every sample that comes in through the door we know there is an individual and a family looking for answers.
We are looking for exceptional candidates with experience developing laboratory automation applications and improving laboratory production processes. This individual will collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers to conceptualize, design, develop, and implement automated systems for new assays and processes as well as optimizing the performance and increasing the efficiencies of the laboratory processes prior to sequencing or other assays.
Throughout the organization, Invitae believes in automation as a competitive advantage. As such, we have the support to continue building a world-class automated facility. We have big ambitions, and are looking for people who share our passion for creating the best systems to use genetic information to improve the human condition.
What you’ll do:
- Programming third party laboratory automation, new technology evaluation and design, creating interfaces between laboratory automation and LIMS, designing robust laboratory processes, and performing experiments and validations
- Interact with many different functional roles, and will work with programs throughout the development timeline: from R&D to deployment
- Additional responsibilities include troubleshooting, process documentation, user training, equipment validation, & vendor relations
- This role will include opportunities for project leadership
What you bring:
- Technical proficiency and proven success in laboratory automation and systems development and integration for the life science industry; especially with robotics and liquid handling systems
- Strong organizational skills, as well as written and verbal communication skills are required
- Flexibility and self-initiative required to support several simultaneous automation projects
- Ability to collaborate is required
- Software development experience in one or more languages (C#, Python, etc) is a plus
- Equipment functional and validation testing is required
- Experience working under regulatory regimes such as CLIA, CAP, or FDA is highly desirable
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top