Bioinformatics Engineer, Algorithm
- Flexible / Remote
Invitae is a healthcare technology company that leverages genetic information to empower doctors and patients to make informed medical decisions. Our development team works on a variety of projects ranging from innovations in healthcare systems to taming the chaos of biology. We are constantly improving our tools and technologies to deliver the highest quality actionable information to doctors and patients. Behind every sample that comes in through the door we know there is an individual and a family looking for answers.
As part of our bioinformatics modeling and algorithms team, you will help ensure our methods and tools are of the highest caliber. Frequently in the team, you will own the problem from conception to release and help drive execution by convincing key stakeholders with data. You will apply your knowledge of computer science, statistics, and NGS to analyze, improve, and develop techniques and algorithms for calling genetic events across an expanding set of modern assays. You will work and learn among an extraordinary set of peers: bioinformaticians, molecular biologists, and software engineers. Your work will directly improve the quality of our product and positively impact each tested patient.
What you will do:
- Build and evaluate algorithms and statistical models to improve existing genetics applications within and beyond NGS technologies and create novel ones
- Drive genetics technology development in a cross-disciplinary setting by critically analyzing and deriving insights from experimental data (including NGS, arrays, and novel technologies) using open source NGS tools and building custom tools when needed
- Working with wet lab scientists to independently design experiments and communicate conclusions for internal review
- Develop reproducible analysis for research and development purposes
What you will bring:
- Advanced graduate degree in bioinformatics, statistics, computer science or a related discipline, or 5+ years of experience working in a bioinformatics role
- Have deep knowledge and experience analyzing genetics data including NGS and/or arrays, either from industry or academia
- Familiarity or experience with NGS Primary analysis (image processing, machine learning, quality metrics) is a plus
- Understand the detailed statistical and algorithmic workings of modern variant calling packages (preferably GATK)
- Comfortable reading source code for large open source projects with preference for Python
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and data presentation skills
- Preferred: PhD in bioinformatics, statistics, computer science or a related discipline, or 7+ years working in bioinformatics role
- Preferred: Candidates with working experience with somatic or low input DNA assays
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top