Automation Application Scientist
- San Francisco, CA
Office location: San Francisco, CA
SCHEDULE: Mon - Fri, traditional PST hours
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making clinical-grade genetic information affordable and accessible to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Our team is expanding rapidly, we’re looking for people who are passionate about improving healthcare to join us.
We are seeking a highly motivated, hands-on and creative Automation Application Scientist to join the Non Invasive Prenatal Screen (NIPS) - Digital Array Technology team. This position will play a key role in scaling up a novel technology that will significantly expand access to high-quality, affordable NIPS genetic testing. The ideal candidate possesses both biological assay and lab automation experience in translating molecular biology assay workflows from manual benchtop execution to full automation. You will have experience interfacing with cross functional teams including assay development, automation and hardware engineering, LIMS and software development, and will thrive in fast-paced multi-disciplinary environments.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as a bridge between the Assay Development and Automation Engineering teams in converting manual workflows to fully automated processes. Processes include DNA extraction, library preparation and labeling, and array hybridization for data readout.
- Lead the development of rigorous requirements and associated test methods to demonstrate success
- Work with automation engineers to define prototype scripts for each step, test for equivalency with manual process and iterate until required performance is achieved.
- Lead the development of guard-banding studies, QC method development and processes for system verification and validation.
- Collaborate with LIMS team to develop and implement robust methods for sample and materials tracking
What you bring:
- BS, Masters or PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, or equivalent related experience with a minimum of 3 years working with laboratory automation instruments in an industry setting
- Demonstrated experience with laboratory automation systems and transitioning manual experimental workflows into fully automated processes
- Experience with NGS, microarray analysis, qPCR and multiplexed PCR
- Experience working with robotic liquid handling systems such as Hamilton, Agilent, Tecan, Dynamic Devices, etc.
- Experience debugging and analyzing bioassays on an automated platform
- Experienced in the development of assays for quality control, verification, and qualification of assays and reagents
- An analytical mindset focused on process engineering and process improvement
- Highly organized with an eye for detail and good communication skills
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- A difference-making mindset to improve health care and motivation to make it happen.
- Enthusiasm to work in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Preferred: Experience in basic programming skills with ability to follow programming logics and understand pseudo-code
At Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. Our teams thrive in our dynamic organization, which has been designed to empower them to make the biggest impact they can for our patients. We give our employees the ability to explore interests and capabilities broadly within the organization. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility. We also provide excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we’re changing healthcare to change lives. Join us.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Back to top