Senior Software Engineer - RoR
You're the type of engineer who wants to work with a fun and diverse team that creates amazing customer experiences using the latest technologies. You find daily conversations about what works best for our QuickBooks Online customers and expand on what changes would mean from an engineering perspective. Raising the bar for higher quality code is something you strive for - yet being agile and iterating fast is still important to you.
Here at QuickBooks, we are developing applications that delight our customers, having daily conversations with product owners and designers to define our goals. There are lots of big design challenges that we need to be solved and opportunities to push boundaries of what "awesome" means. We're looking for someone that takes pride in their code, never shying away from end to end ownership. We also take mentorship seriously and spend time to learn and receive feedback from other perspectives.
Are you someone who has initiative and an ownership mentality? Do you like talking to customers to deliver the most sleek and intuitive application possible? Are you ready to get your hands dirty in building applications at scale for our growing 2 million customer base? We'd love to have you join our team.
- Leading the gathering of functional requirements, developing technical specifications, and project & test planning.
- Develop and improve software used to generate sales tax returns, invoices, email notifications, PDFs, reports, and other documents.
- Develop software libraries and utilities to transmit data to and from state and foreign web services via HTTP, FTP, SFTP, and other common web protocols.
- Develop complex, yet efficient SQL queries to extract and aggregate large quantities of data from MySQL databases and present it in usable tables and financial reports.
- Develop code to aggregate and translate data, and then export reports and data files in a wide variety of formats including HTML, XML, EDI, CSV, XLS, TXT, and other various text file formats.
- Develop online tools and reports for tracking and reconciling tax returns and payments.
- Acting as the technical domain expert: Mentoring fellow engineers, demonstrating technical expertise, and leading a small team solving meaningful programming and design problems.
- Resolve defects/bugs during QA testing, pre-production, production, and post-release patches.
- Work with various Intuit teams including: product management, QA/QE, various product lines, and/or business units to drive forward results.
- Demonstrate a real passion for developing well architected, elegant, web and/or mobile apps
- 8+ years experience designing and developing web, software, or mobile applications.
- Strong leadership experience: Leading meetings, presenting, technical go to person, and multi-functional leader.
- BS/MS in computer science or equivalent work experience.
- Solid experience with Ruby on Rails and Java. Alternatively, similar programming languages such as Python or PHP is acceptable
- Experience with databases such as MySQL, Oracle, etc.
- Experience with web services (SOAP, XML/JSON over HTTP, etc.) to connect business systems, interact with data feeds or payment gateways, etc. is highly desired
- Ability to analyze large, complex software applications and determine where to implement code to add required functionality
- Comfortable working in Linux environments
- Proven ability to write solid, well-tested, commercial quality code
- Ability to work independently, but actively seek out help / guidance as needed
- Clear communication skills in English
- Experience with basic accounting and/or business principles is a plus
- Experience working in agile environments: working in small teams that have made a huge impact fast
- Experience with GIT SCM
- Experience with AWS or other cloud computing solutions
Back to top