Technical Program Manager, Infrastructure
The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. Today more than 15,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What’s the opportunity?
Our infrastructure team provides the platform to build, deploy and serve all parts of Intercom. We are responsible for Intercom’s uptime and day to day operations. Intercom’s product engineers use the tools and environments built by our team to ship features to production hundreds of times each week. We work with vendors to provide a world class platform to develop and operate our suite of applications.
We're looking for a Technical Program Manager with hands-on experience in managing big projects: software development, systems and platforms deployment, migrations, audits, systems analysis, operations, etc. This is a new and unique role.
We operate with cloud infrastructure exclusively - we have no datacentres, servers or networks. If you’re coming from a project management background, this role is an opportunity to expand the scope of your experience into understanding, preparing and communicating the strategy for cost reduction, availability and vendor relationships in a cutting edge cloud environment.
What will I be doing?
You will be working as part of our infrastructure team and collaborating with teams across the company, such as our product development, analytics, finance and leadership teams. You will own strategically important initiatives, such as cost management and availability, and be responsible for driving improvements in these areas. You will work across multiple disciplines, be transparent in your workings and accurate in the reporting of status.
Some examples of the types of projects you could work on:
- Making sure we learn lessons from recent outages and systematically apply key learning across our entire platform
- Working with our engineering leads to proactively identify and cure scaling bottlenecks across our platform
- Working directly with our Finance and Engineering teams, own understanding and maximizing our gross profit margin as it relates to engineering OPEX costs
- Owning vendor selection, contract negotiations and usage analysis for 3rd party services our product team relies on for platform operation
What skills do I need?
You need to have a technical background and experience delivering all aspects of online services. You will need to be able to occasionally dive deep technically and collaborate with engineers, analysts and product managers at all levels across the company.
You will also need:
- Some background in developing, deploying and operating fast, highly available online services
- Experience working with cloud computing environments
- Hands-on experience with managing projects of all shapes and sizes
- Fantastic communication skills and the ability to get people excited to solve the problems you’re working on
- A track record of getting a lot done
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need to
- Paid parental leave to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our roaming FlyeFit gyms in Dublin membership!
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too!
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
Meet Some of Intercom's Employees
Lead Finance Analyst
Kim keeps Intercom financially healthy by monitoring the metrics that inform long-term plans and budgeting decisions. Then she helps assess the financial impact of all strategic initiatives.
Back to top