Software Engineer (Growth)
What's the opportunity?
Intercom’s growth teams focus on Monetization (pricing model, purchasing UX, in-house billing systems) and Acquisition (signup, integration, onboarding). Both are structured as autonomous product teams, with dedicated designers, PMs, and engineers working in close collaboration with one another. Team members have previously worked at companies like Google, Airbnb, 23andme, Yahoo, and Twitter – and have founded startups themselves. Here at Intercom, we’re our own function, and we collectively report directly to the CEO.
There’s no ‘growth hacking’ here: we’ve learned that sustainable growth comes from great product experiences backed by robust software systems. It’s working – Intercom has become one of the fastest growing SAAS companies in history.
We’re dissatisfied with how today’s software is sold and communicated to new users. So we’re not following the playbook – rather, we’re trying to approach the deep product problems that we own with original thinking and fresh approaches. And along the way, the fundamental product and business challenges we take on produce some really interesting technical problems.
What will I be doing?
- Build and scale a delightful experience to help our customers instantly import their existing user bases of millions of people into Intercom
- Pair with a designer and develop a chat-bot that could replace conventional payment UI
- Architect and design our next generation billing system, capable of handling tens of millions of dollars each month
- Build a one-click Wordpress integration for non-technical site admins to magically install Intercom’s live chat product
- Extract and open source an internal subsystem we’ve developed to improve its quality
What skills do I need?
- Ideally have 2-5 years of experience or its equivalence in a software engineering role
- Be comfortable working across the stack (or be open to learning what you don’t know). We work primarily in Ruby, Rails, and Ember – but don’t hire based on specific language or framework knowledge
- Have great product design instinct and reasoned opinions
- Deeply care about what you build and why you’re building it – not just how it’s going to be done
- Be ready to work in a process defined by truly continuous deployment: we release our app over a hundred times per day
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch and dinner served every weekday, plus a variety of breakfast foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
Meet Some of Intercom's Employees
Lead Finance Analyst
Kim keeps Intercom financially healthy by monitoring the metrics that inform long-term plans and budgeting decisions. Then she helps assess the financial impact of all strategic initiatives.
Back to top