Senior Manager, Customer Support
What's the opportunity?
The Senior Manager, Customer Support is a key leadership role on the Customer Support team. Reporting to the Director of Customer Support, this person will be responsible for all aspects of planning, building, and running a highly performing team. We are looking for a highly effective manager that excels at both developing their team’s skills and being fully responsible for–and engaged in–all aspects of delivering an exceptional customer experience in a given region.
What will I be doing?
- Effectively managing, developing, and coaching a group of variously experienced team leads to become more effective at managing and developing their own teams of 6-8 individual contributors.
- Completely running day to day support operations for their region in a data driven manner.
- This role will be responsible for customer support in the Americas (covering our two offices in San Francisco and Chicago) and the majority of Australia/Pacific (where we only have remote contractors currently).
- Capacity planning – Ability to accurately forecast future hiring. Ability to plan and execute properly for holidays, decreased capacity due to training, etc.
- Hiring – Teach and mentor their team on how we hire. Help to curate our hiring process by expressing feedback often and driving the team to maintain great recruiting experiences for candidates. An ideal candidate also understands that scaling a team is more nuanced than simply hiring effectively.
- Translating high-level team and company strategy into actionable goals and tactics for their team. Measuring progress towards those goals effectively.
- Ensuring current leads in their region are running high performing teams.
- Developing, evaluating, and executing processes and policies to improve our level of service.
- Using data to track and better understand their organization’s opportunities and shortcomings.
- Working cross functionally with other collocated teams in a way that is consistent with our org goals and values.
- Working directly with other functions to ensure that support has the context and input required in order to deliver on our support goals.
- Executing on discrete projects with collocated teams and individuals.
- Teach, and embody, our Intercom company values and team operating principles.
- Contributing directly to the strategic direction of the team by offering regular, radically candid, feedback and input to the Director of Customer Support.
What skills do I need?
- 3+ years experience managing in a Customer facing or process driven function, preferably in a tech start-up or other high-growth environment
- Minimum of 1-year experience managing a team of people-managers
- Proven experience–and passion for–teaching, developing, and growing the people they work with.
- Able to combine great people intuition, business judgement and discretion in your decision-making
- Proven experience in management practices within a complex and matrixed environment
- Successful track record of designing, implementing, and validating processes and policies
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal, presentation, and interpersonal)
- Exemplary customer service skills and understanding of what it takes to succeed in a front-line customer support role.
- The ability to handle multiple projects and competing priorities (ability to make trade-offs effectively) and adapt rapidly to a fluid, high-growth environment
- Team player with a strong sense of ownership and “get things done” attitude
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
- Four-year degree or equivalent from an accredited university, highly desired
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Occasional (1-2x per quarter) travel required
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch and dinner served every weekday, plus a variety of breakfast foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
Back to top