Product Research Lead
The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. Today more than 15,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's the opportunity?
Intercom is an unusually product research focused company. Our VP of Product, Paul Adams, was formerly a Researcher at Google. We understand the value of research insights. Research plays a key role in our product development process and informs our company strategy at the highest level.
Product Researchers at Intercom are embedded in the Product team in Dublin. Their job is to gather insights from our users and channel these into our product design process. They are involved at every stage in the product development cycle from conducting foundational research to understand the problem to be solved, through to early concept testing, prototype evaluations, beta tests, and post-launch product evaluations.
This role is an opportunity for someone with a proven track record as a talented, impactful Product Researcher with some management experience, to lead a small team of Product Researchers in Dublin.
The role will be a 50:50 mix of management (e.g. conducting weekly 1:1 meetings, performance management, helping enable the success of the team and supporting their growth) and hands-on product research (e.g. leading product research projects). As the team grows, the balance will shift to focus more on management and less on research.
What skills do I need?
- Passion for building amazing products that people love, not just conducting research
- MSc or PhD in Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction (HCI), Cognitive or Experimental Psychology or a related field
- Minimum of 6+ years professional experience conducting user research for software (consumer or enterprise)
- Some experience of mentoring/managing teams of researchers
- Enthusiasm for enabling the success of others and supporting their growth
- Ability to communicate your research findings in creative and impactful ways
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to build strong cross-functional relationships and influence others
We use a variety of different research methods at Intercom. You don’t need to be experienced in all these methods but you need to have deep knowledge of some:
- Jobs to Be Done framework
- Remote user testing (e.g. phone or video interviews with remote participants)
- Survey research (e.g. question phrasing, survey coding)
- Longitudinal research (e.g. diary studies)
- Usability testing (e.g. lab studies, RITE studies)
- Field research (e.g. visiting customers in their workplace)
- Benchmarking (e.g. evaluating competitors using qualitative and quantitative data)
- Mixed methods research that combines qualitative and quantitative data
- Experience using any of the following: video editing tools, R, Usertesting.com, UserZoom, Inspectlet, Fullstory, Looker, Sketch, Fireworks
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need to
- Paid parental leave to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our roaming FlyeFit gyms in Dublin membership!
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too!
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We also offer generous relocation assistance for certain roles for people joining us from overseas.
Meet Some of Intercom's Employees
Lead Finance Analyst
Kim keeps Intercom financially healthy by monitoring the metrics that inform long-term plans and budgeting decisions. Then she helps assess the financial impact of all strategic initiatives.
Back to top