The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it. 🛠️
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. In February 2017, Intercom announced it had surpassed $50M in annual recurring revenue, an increase from $1M in ARR just three years prior, making it one of the fastest-growing companies in tech. Today more than 17,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's The Opportunity? 🤔
Intercom is growing rapidly. Our revenue has increased 4-fold in 2015 and our Dublin R&D team has more than tripled in size in the past year. We’re looking for talented engineers to join us and influence our product roadmap and direction.
This is more than a technical role, you’ll be a creative product and technical contributor. You’ll use your experience to inform our engineering process and decisions when building new features and ensuring scalability and availability of the entire platform.
You’ll be part of one of our product teams which are multidisciplinary with design, frontend and backend engineering combined. While specialisation is important, we discourage pigeonholing. Our most effective people work across design and implementation, making the right technology decisions to build the best product.
One of our senior engineers, joining from a major PaaS provider, described his experience as “Before, I saw customers through a very large telescope. Now I’m right beside them.” We love the satisfaction of hearing how happy our customers are with what we build for them.
What Will I Be Doing? 🚀
As a Principal Engineer you will:
- Contribute to our technical architecture as we grow. We scale to service requests from all our customers’ customers. We’re growing and so are they
- Care about agility as much you care for scalability and availability. Continuous deployment keeps us focused on incremental releases. Even our biggest technical achievements roll out piece by piece, feature flagged out of sight
- Projects are kept short and tightly scoped. Teams build a weekly cadence of releases
- Ship a change to production on your first day and a significant public release in your first week. That “day one” change is automatically deployed to production along with 80 other deployments (on average) each weekday
- Be proud of what you work on, obsess about the quality of the work you produce. Join us to do the best work of your career
- Have regular opportunity and support for career growth. We are constantly growing and forming new teams. For those who are motivated to lead, we hugely bias internal promotions to Engineering Lead and Engineering Director roles. Public speaking, blogging, open source contributions and community participation is something we strongly encourage (and reward). We run events to share how we think and how we go about building great product - our last one was very well received
What skills do I need? 📖
- Ideally, you’ve built an exciting SaaS product in your previous roles and loved the satisfaction that comes with knowing that people around the world are using something you’ve created
- You can demonstrate significant impact that your work has head on the product and/or the team
- You also need to have deep knowledge of a high-level programming language (for example, Ruby, Python, Perl etc.) but it doesn’t need to be a language that we use here! Great people are effective and learn what we use quickly (or introduce us to better ways of working)
- You will have experience with Distributed systems
- Knowledge of Web or mobile animation
What happens when I apply? 🤓
First, apply so we can review your CV :) As the next step, we will send you our take home test to work on in your own time. You can find more details on the questions and how we evaluate answers here. The following step will be a phone interview with one of our engineers which will focus on technical and culture contribution questions (this step is sometimes broken down into 2 interviews). The final step is an onsite interview in our Dublin office (we can help with travel arrangements, visas etc.).
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday. There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need to
- Paid parental leave to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our roaming FlyeFit gyms in Dublin membership
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too!
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.
Meet Some of Intercom's Employees
Director of Brand Design
Stewart manages designers and front-end developers who keep the face of Intercom in tip-top shape. He collaborates on and helps direct the overall visual identity of the brand.
Back to top