Intercom is creatively fixing...🛠️
How internet businesses connect with customers for more human conversation. Our teams are ambitious and humble – learning, solving and celebrating together.
We’re one of the fastest growing tech companies:
• 400+ employees worldwide
• $1M to $50M Annual Recurring Revenue in 3 years
• 25,000+ customers
• 1,000 new customers monthly
Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Intercom is growing fast. We’ve created an environment where product teams, with big ambitions, can ship high-quality product to our customers every week. Across a team of more than 60 engineers, we ship changes to production over 100 times each weekday. Our mission is to make web and mobile business personal. Come help us build a world-changing product, a long lasting company and the most effective engineering team possible.
We’re particularly focused on building an organisation where people thrive, grow in their careers, and enjoy having high impact through their work. We’re looking for experienced engineering managers to help us grow our capabilities and capacity.
The Intercom platform comprises of several different and connected products. Each product is designed and developed — through invention and iteration — by a single team. As an Engineering Manager, you’ll partner with a product manager to define a product vision, strategy and roadmap.
You’ll be expected to own your space: work with all disciplines on your team to build, launch and iterate. Talk directly with your customers, take part in usability studies, work with data analysts and researchers to ask the right questions and make good use of the answers.
This is an incredibly rare opportunity to join a company that’s still small but on its way to something much bigger, with a meaningful transformative mission. You’ll work directly with a product, design, and engineering team who’ve worked in places such as Amazon, Facebook, Google, Apple, Lyft, and Square. And best of all, be early enough to hold a leadership position where you have a high impact role in our success over the coming years.
This role is based at our headquarters in downtown San Francisco close to BART and Muni. You'll report directly to one of our Directors of Engineering.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Collaboratively set a product and technical direction with your team
- Support an ambitious group of engineers in their career goals. Work with our people ops team to maintain our high performance and high morale
- Be actively involved in hiring and growing our engineering team
- Care about agility as much you care for scalability and availability. Continuous deployment keeps us focused on incremental releases. Even our biggest technical achievements roll out piece by piece, feature flagged out of sight. Projects are kept short and tightly scoped. Teams build a weekly cadence of releases
- Drive, create and improve operational excellence, quality, security and privacy initiatives within your team and the entire engineering organization
- Help us evolve our culture
What skills do I need? 📖
- Management experience is a requirement. New managers are grown through our engineering team, so external hires must have hands-on experience of people management
- If you want to take your career in a management direction but haven’t had the opportunity yet, we’d strongly encourage you to apply for our product engineering role. Career progression is important to us and if management is the path you’d like to take we can help you get there
- You also need to have deep knowledge of a high-level programming language (for example, Ruby, Python, Java, etc.) but it doesn’t need to be a language that we use here! Great people are effective and learn what we use quickly (or introduce us to better ways of working). Our ideal is for every team to be comfortable working across the full stack, delivering new features and capabilities from start to finish
- The core Intercom product is a Ruby on Rails application with an Ember.js frontend. We use MySQL and MongoDB for most of our storage, though we’re starting to migrate to other services like Amazon’s DynamoDB, Aurora, and Elasticsearch
- Our infrastructure runs entirely within Amazon Web Services and we make use of many of their services (DynamoDB, SQS, etc.) We like to buy the best tools and services where available but will build our own when we need to -- we use an in-house continuous deployment service and built our own lightweight project management tooling
- You will need to be hands-on technically, comfortable reviewing and writing code. We don’t need you to be the strongest or most productive engineer on the team but your onboarding will involve at least a month working as an engineer on one of our products. We believe this is the best way to get context and build trust before directly managing
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch and dinner served every weekday, plus a variety of breakfast foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.
Meet Some of Intercom's Employees
Director of Brand Design
Stewart manages designers and front-end developers who keep the face of Intercom in tip-top shape. He collaborates on and helps direct the overall visual identity of the brand.
Back to top