Manager, Customer Support EMEA
The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. Today more than 15,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's the opportunity?
Customer Support is the fastest growing team in Intercom. We went from 5 teammates at the start of 2015 to 50 in 2016. We help our customers 24/7 in GMT, PST and APAC timezones. We’re about to double in size in 2017.
We’re looking for a Manager, Customer Support for EMEA to plan, build, and run a highly performing team, while managing all aspects of delivering an exceptional customer experience. You will report directly to Director of Customer Support and be one of the key leaders on the team.
Support in Intercom is different to most other companies. Our way of providing support is based on the principles of continuity and trust and our style of communication is personal, friendly and fun. We engage in dynamic conversations with our customers and are big fans of visual communication (think emojis, stickers, GIFs) - we believe that visual support is human support!
What will I be doing?
- You will manage, develop, and coach a group of ambitious team leads to become more effective at managing and developing their own teams of 6-8 individual contributors
- You will run day to day support operations for EMEA in a data driven manner:
- Capacity planning – you will accurately forecast future hiring, plan and execute holiday coverage, decreased capacity due to training, etc.
- Hiring – you will teach and mentor your team on how we hire, help to curate our hiring process by expressing feedback often and driving the team to maintain great recruiting experiences for candidates
- Scaling - you will grow our team by creating opportunities for teammates to shape their own progress
- Goal setting - you will make sure the team is working towards goals that reflect the company strategy and measure progress effectively
- Operational excellence - you will develop, evaluate, and execute processes and policies to improve our level of service
- Tracking - you will use data to track and better understand opportunities and shortcomings
- You will work directly with other functions to ensure that support has the context and input required in order to deliver on our support goals
- You will teach, and embody, our Intercom company values and team operating principles
- And finally, you will contribute directly to the strategic direction of the team by offering regular, radically candid, feedback and input to the Director of Customer Support
What skills do I need?
- 3+ years experience managing in a Customer facing or process driven function, preferably in a tech startup or other high-growth environment
- Minimum of 1-year experience managing a team of people-managers
- Passion for teaching, developing, and growing the people you work with
- Proven experience in management practices within a complex and matrixed environment, combining great people intuition, business judgement and discretion in your decision-making
- Successful track record of designing, implementing, and validating processes and policies
- Exemplary customer service skills and understanding of what it takes to succeed in a front-line customer support role
- The ability to handle multiple projects and competing priorities (ability to make trade-offs effectively) and adapt rapidly to a fluid, high-growth environment
- Team player with a strong sense of ownership and “get things done” attitude
- 4-year degree or equivalent from an accredited university, highly desired
- Proof of eligibility to work in Ireland
- Occasional (2-3x per quarter) travel required
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need to
- Paid parental leave to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our roaming FlyeFit gyms in Dublin membership!
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too!
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
Meet Some of Intercom's Employees
Lead Finance Analyst
Kim keeps Intercom financially healthy by monitoring the metrics that inform long-term plans and budgeting decisions. Then she helps assess the financial impact of all strategic initiatives.
Back to top