Lead Data Engineer
The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. Today more than 15,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's the opportunity?
We're looking for a seasoned Data Engineer with experience building data pipelines and a passion for data to join our analytics team.
The analytics team in Intercom partner with product, engineering, growth, marketing and sales teams to help Intercom make sense of our users, our products and our business using metrics and data. We're highly quantitative individuals who love to turn data into insights and communicate our findings fearlessly. As the company scales, we’re looking for a lead data engineer to help Intercom and our team make better decisions with data.
As our lead data engineer you’ll work with analysts, data scientists, engineers, product managers and the leaders of our company to understand their data needs. You’ll not only own and develop our data pipelines, but also design and build internal analytics products on top of our data platform, used by people across the entire company. You’ll have an immense impact and input on what tools we use and how we build out our analytics stack.
Intercom aspires to be the place where businesses have an authoritative and rich view of customer data. We want to make this data alive, up-to-date and personal. This means our data should be richly queryable and available to our customers for use not only in the right places, but in the right context. We need to do this at our current scale (multiple 10s of terabytes) and at a scale that is in line with our growth ambitions. Your role will start with our analytics data and pipelines but the goal is work towards helping all of Intercom ship novel data-centric product features. This is a unique opportunity to be a founding member of the analytics engineering team but also to influence the direction and culture of data-driven products at Intercom.
What will I be doing?
We believe Intercom is a place to come and deliver career-defining achievements and we like candidates to define what that means for themselves. That said, these are the responsibilities we have in mind:
- Increase the accessibility of data to the entire company by designing and implementing custom ETL pipelines.
- Amplify the value of our existing data pipelines by enriching and scaling them .
- Enable our team to do more, faster, by building logical and understandable data models.
- Work with our data scientists and analysts to prototype and develop new and interesting analytics tools and product features that leverage data.
- Drive our roadmaps and be comfortable influencing them in a big way. This is more than a technical role, you’ll be a creative product and technical leader.
- Collaborate on long and medium term technical direction while regularly adding value near term.
- As a lead data engineer coach talented data engineers to realise their proven potential.
What skills do I need?
- You have proven experience designing and building scalable analytics schemas and pipelines.
- You have proven experience leading scalable data-centric engineering projects.
- You have proven experience building creative tools and products on top of these projects.
- You have solid data engineering skills including experience with batch processing and streaming architectures that handle data at scale.
Bonus skills & attributes
- You have worked closely with data analytics teams and/or data scientists.
- You have solid data science chops and are comfortable with statistics and formal data analysis.
- Engineers have reported directly to you.
We already use technologies such as Spark and Redshift and languages such as Scala and Python but remain open to using the right tool for the job. We don’t require you to be familiar with any of these technologies specifically to work with us but some experience with similar and deep technical knowledge is a must.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need to
- Paid parental leave to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our roaming FlyeFit gyms in Dublin membership!
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too!
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We also offer generous relocation assistance for certain roles for people joining us from overseas.
Meet Some of Intercom's Employees
Lead Finance Analyst
Kim keeps Intercom financially healthy by monitoring the metrics that inform long-term plans and budgeting decisions. Then she helps assess the financial impact of all strategic initiatives.
Back to top