Director of Product Management
Director of Product Management
The way businesses talk to people online today is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring sales, marketing & customer service products to one messaging platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations with the people that matter. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom is the only business messenger to let you talk to consumers just about anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email.
Intercom invented in-app messaging in 2011, and today more than 13,000 businesses use Intercom to reach a billion people around the world. Intercom has 300 employees split between its San Francisco headquarters and its Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's the opportunity?
Intercom is growing very fast. Over the past year we’ve more than doubled our Product and Engineering team to well over 100 people. This means that many processes we used 12 months ago no longer work as well. We need a Director of Product Management to help run the team, evolve our PM process, and ensure we continue to ship high quality product that our customers love. This role reports to the VP of Product, and is a key leadership position in our Product and Engineering team.
We’re looking for someone who agrees with our high level philosophy on how to build great product. That is, PMs should be constantly talking directly with our users, they should have a very strong understanding of design, they should be obsessing over all the last details of their product, and have unending curiosity for understanding whether their product solves the problems they set out.
Intercom is an incredibly rare opportunity to join a company that is still small but on it’s way to something much bigger, with a meaningful transformative mission, where you would work directly with a product, design and engineering team who’ve come from Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple and others. And best of all, be early enough to hold a leadership position where you play a key causal role in our success in the years ahead.
What will I be responsible for?
- Owning and evolving the Product Management process at Intercom
- Line manage Group Product Managers and possibly Senior Product Managers. Coaching them, mentoring them, ensuring they are set up to succeed and are successful in their role
- Play a key role in ensuring we ship high quality product in a fast focused manner, including but not limited to inputting into our strategic direction, product and project prioritisation and planning, execution of projects, quality of design and build, helping set estimates for release, and hitting them.
- Ensure the product we’re building:
- Meets existing and future customer needs
- Is of a very high executional quality
- Take full ownership of areas that we feel we need to focus on and improve. For example, how we measure successful product launches, how we measure product engagement or satisfaction, or how we improve our QA process
- Help grow and build our team, in terms of hiring new people, and coaching and training our existing people.
- Ensure the PM team are applying our process and acting out our values.
- Work closely with the Director of Design to ensure design is of a high standard.
- Work closely with the Director of Product Ops to design and roll out process improvements and evolve how we do project management
What skills do I need?
- Multiple years working as a Product Manager on products that are recognised within their industry as world class.
- Multiple years experience of directly managing other Product Managers including coaching, mentoring, and being responsible for their development.
- Real hands-on experience of designing and building a product management process in a growing company, and evolving it over time.
- You must be extremely decisive, with the ability to move fast, having a strong bias for action and forward momentum always.
- You make logical, cogent arguments, and are predictable rather than ad hoc.
- You’re entrepreneurial, you don’t need direction, you're self driven.
- You are opinionated rather than consensus driven, yet the teams you’ve worked with love working with you.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need to
- Paid parental leave to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our roaming FlyeFit gyms in Dublin membership!
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too!
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We also offer generous relocation assistance for certain roles for people joining us from overseas.
How to Apply
If you’re interested in joining the team, please send us your resume (you can also contract Caoimhe Cooney on [email protected]). Let us know how you fit the bill for each of our requirements above. If you have a presence on the web that we can easily access (Twitter, Github), contribute to an open source project, write a blog we’d love to hear about it.
- Type of contract: Permanent
- Salary: Competitive
- Location: St Stephens Green, Dublin, Ireland
Back to top